Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lead Tape

Options
Very niffty of someone.Hi Professor!Keep on teaching us ,I just added that little trick into my own little bag of tricks.Add I can't wait to use it someday!

Comments

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Lead Tape on Window Air Conditioners

This is really neat.

Last night in lab class, we opened up about 10 window units so the students could trace out the refrigerant circuit in a simple air conditioning system. As we were tracing out the circuit, we came across a strip of thick black sticky foam wrapped around the suction line. No, it wasn't suction line insulation, as the strip was only about one-inch wide.

I called the manufacturer of the unit and was informed that this strip is actually lead tape and is used to reduce the vibration of the unit. The engineers determine the point in the system where the highest frequency vibration is and they put this strip of lead tape on the line to reduce the amount of noise generated.

Who would've thunk it?

• jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    why of course

Who would've thunk it?

why engineers of course!!!!

i remember my friend years ago telling me how cool his vibrations course was in school.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    Very Cool

Will I be seeing you in Queens next Wednesday, Terry?
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    ABCO Trade show

Sorry,Professor,I just took on a big straighten out/repair/up grade/ on an 8000s.f. house and I will have to be there for days. And have some fun,I get to make up my own schematic's by tracing out every wire,then converting that into a ladder diagram.The 1st system took me 20hrs, and yes,I was paid!
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Lead tape

Would that be the same as lead paint?

I tore them off because, I could never hear any noise over the compressor.

See what happen Terry.You get all this knowledge and you lose out on the quality time.

See what you have done, Professor.

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    Not the same, Don

Definitely not the same thing, Don. How are things down in lovely Virginia?
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Slow

Back to being crawl dog with some duct replacement jobs.

I have some equipment for you..We'll have to get together after the holidays so you can get it in that new school of yours.

I hope life is being kind to you.Take care!
  • Gtr-fan
    Gtr-fan Member Posts: 1
    Options
    black tape on the sys

There is 1 tape on the suction line next to the black plastic cover, but ther is another at the bottom at the liquid line, and so far, i didnt saw any stuff around it to crash and have the copper damaged.... anyway if engineer say so, it is so.....I guess....hehehe!
This discussion has been closed.