Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PRO PRESS FOR STEAM

Boiler Guy
Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
Do you have more info on the FKM products. Not thinking for steam but for returns. I have tried PP on returns but found leaks where seals get flashed with vapor.

Comments

• STEVEN MARKS
    STEVEN MARKS Member Posts: 154
    propress

Just sat thru a demstration for the Ridgid Propress. Salesman told it can be used for steam lines. Fitting and joint has a higher strength than silver solder sweat joints. Maybe I'm old school but I didn't even think copper was recommended for steam. I'm only 37 but I was tought using black pipe and thats all I have ever done. Any opinions. I have also used black pipe and swing joints on all oil tank installs but this guy was talking about using copper and propress fittings on oil tanks also. I thought you had to have swing joints. It would make installs alot quicker.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    propress and steam

do they make propress in 2in? what happens when it starts to sag? cant you it in MA. on oil tanks for fill or vent piping
  • ed wallace
    propress and steam

do they make propress in 2in? what happens when it starts to sag? cant you it in MA. on oil tanks for fill or vent piping
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455

They make Propress all the way to 4". Propress "G" with yellow dots on fittings is being advertised (Plumbing & Mechanical) in the process of being aproved for natural & LP gas and fuel oil. As for swing joints??.............Better ask the inspector.....I would say no.

As for Steam... I doubt it. Go on the Viega web site. They have a list of approved and non approved uses.

Ed
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Some salesmen ..................................................

will sell you anything.....................................Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455

Mad Dog,

With all due respect maybe you should change that to "Some salesmen will TELL you anything" if they think thats what you want to here
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    You can use it on steam

up to 15 psi, but you have to use their FKM, specialty seals, which are field installed. I got this from Viega's Dann Holmes in Detroit just the other day. He was at my seminar.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ed wallace
    propress and steam

i will stick with cast iron and black iron on steam if i want to get creative i will try pvc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Double D
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    No,

that's it. Just that you need that seal with steam.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dick_3
    Dick_3 Member Posts: 60
    Propress and Steam

ProPress fittings on steam applications is just a fade.

For proper steam piping, up to 600 psi use schedule 40 PVC, just make sure you use fresh glue and primer. PVC and steam "guaranteed forever".

Just forget the STEAMFITTING TRADE, you know all the steel pipe, threading, and welding; it's dirty and heavy, and you might even catch a spark. The ProPress and PVC is cheaper, faster, and anybody can install it. That's what we're all about anyway right?
    Double D
This discussion has been closed.