Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weigh in of charges

I will check the sub-cooling (TXV valve) after seting the charge by weigh in.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=278&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• TGO_54
    TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
    Weigh in of charges

Hi Professor,

When using the weight in method of charging do you need to figure the suction line as well as the liquid line? Will this change with different equiptment? I read through the installation guide for a new system, and it gives a chart for the addition of refergerant as .60 oz per foot of 3/8" liqid line but nothing for the suction line. What's the right thing to do?
    Thanks

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Liquid

Although the entire system as a whole counts, you are only adding measureable ref. weight to the system as per manuf. charts because the liquid is measureable. Suction line is vapor so it is not considered. The addition of length to the L.L. is the actual chart you are adjusting to. Exmp...Longer or shorter. Keep in mind that the only true way to check is to measure sub-cooling or supper heat which ever applies.
    Hope this was helpful.
  • TGO_54
    TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
    Thanks Mike

> Although the entire system as a whole counts, you

> are only adding measureable ref. weight to the

> system as per manuf. charts because the liquid is

> measureable. Suction line is vapor so it is not

> considered. The addition of length to the L.L. is

> the actual chart you are adjusting to.

> Exmp...Longer or shorter. Keep in mind that the

> only true way to check is to measure sub-cooling

> or supper heat which ever applies. Hope this was

> helpful.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    I don't trust the factory

I've seen them come low & high. Yesterday's unit had 50' lineset so you'd think we would have to add. Yet the superheat chart said remove some. I've never bothered with weighing in. Start it up and use the mfrs. chart to adjust.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    For the most part...

For the most part, the factory charge is reliable, biut I have come across a number of instances where the charge was not correct.

As you mentioned, Tom, definitely check the other system operating parameters to make certain that, once YOU are finished, you know for a fact that the system is charged properly.
This discussion has been closed.