Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OVERHEAD OIL LINES

paul sr
paul sr Member Posts: 39
Ok, tell me if this makes any sense.Myself and another oil tech were talking about overhead two pipe oil lines. He says that on a two pipe, overhead oil line feeding off the top of the tank, he opens the bleeder puts the hose in a bucket, puts his finger over the end of the hose and he seems to think bye doing this its going to make the pump pull harder. Does this really affect the pull?

Comments

• Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    He's wrong!

Here's how you bleed with an overhead line or an osv.

Put the bleeder into a pail with a wrench on the end, air can get violent (see purge-bleed on pumping away). Leave the valve at the pump open and the bleeder closed. Go to the tank and close the valve.

The 'kitty' in the pump will wake up and when she really starts to scream (20" Vac.) open the valve and walk back to the pump. By the time you get there the pump will be power/vacuum bled.

Like most things, this ain't new, you just have to know where to find it. It's in a couple of my books and you can watch a video on this if you can find an old copy of Webster pump's 'Heart of an Oil Furnace', FACT!

www.FiredragonEnt.com
  • marty D_2
    marty D_2 Member Posts: 35
    Confused

How does the pump get purged if you closed the bleeder
    screw on the pump and never reopened it based on what I read. What did i miss.

marty
  • mike@boro_2
    mike@boro_2 Member Posts: 4
    two pipe oil lines

Marty, if this was single pipe overhead line ,yes you would have to open the bleeder, however, with two pipe this will almost always self bleed through the return line . .......

mike
  • mike@boro_2
    two pipe oil lines

Marty, if this was single pipe overhead line ,yes you would have to open the bleeder, however, with two pipe this will almost always self bleed through the return line . .......

mike
  • mike@boro_2
    two pipe oil lines

mike
  • mike@boro_2
    ooops!

sorry, must be my nervous condition
  • marty D_2
    marty D_2 Member Posts: 35
    My oversite

You are right, it was late, I missed the 2 pipe part.
    Hope you are not made nervous by idiot's like me (8-)

thanks for waking me up.
This discussion has been closed.