Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Not getting burner to turn on from

Peerless92
Peerless92 Member Posts: 3

I had a heat pump water heater installed last spring. My boiler would run non stop to produce hot water for the house as it should. After I got the heat pump water heater installed the boiler no longer produced hot water which I thought was done on purpose. What is the wago clip installed for. The circulator pump turns on but it doesn’t turn on the burner.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,183
    edited 12:24AM

Not sure. But it almost looks as though it bypasses the aquastat completely — and that the aquastat output doesn't connect to the boiler T-T input. Which would indeed keep the boiler from running.

I couldn't be sure of that without tracing the wiring…

What should happen is that the thermostat turns on the circulator. That in turn sends a signal to the aquastat. If the boiler water isn't hot enough for heat, that should turn on the boiler.

I'd be surprised if the water heater installer did that — but they may not have known what to do or how to do it, and thought the aquastat was only for the domestic hot water.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,083
    edited 12:41AM

Is anything connected to TT on the aquastat? If so, that zone should work.

It doesn't look like ZR,ZC is being used, which would output and input with the switching relay, so the boiler knows there's a heat call. The screw fell out of terminal 5. Put it back. Run a 14/2 B/X between ZR,ZC on the aquastat and 5 and 6 on the switching relay. Tape the White wire with blue or red because it's being used as a 120 volt hot, not a neutral.

• Peerless92

After looking at this diagram why is the red wire and the white wire not where they are in this picture and why do they have a wago?

• Peerless92

just to add more information one of my thermostats will turn the boiler on until it reaches the temp in the living room then it will shut off completely until the next time it calls for heat. The other thermostat will only turn on the circular pump but not the burner. My boiler also does not maintain a temp at all even being on

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,083

Asked and answered. Somebody altered the aquastat to be "Cold start". Kind of a MacGyver move IMO. Since the boiler no longer maintains temperature, the zone connected to the switching relay needs a way to tell the boiler "give me heat". That's what ZR,ZC to 5 and 6 does.