Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Workmanship

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,176
edited October 11 in THE MAIN WALL

There are often existing boiler installs where I know exactly who did the work by their piping workmanship.
This guy was a perfectionist and it stands head and shoulders above anyone else’s. From him, I learned to install copper x male unions on relief valves and female unions on x-tanks. It makes the next guy’s job so much easier.

But I still can’t cut insulation like he does.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
delcrossvCLambHeatingHelp.comMad Dog_2ChrisJTeemokSuperTech

Comments

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,643

yeah, that is very nice work. Making it easier for the next guy is the finest way to show your craftsmanship.

Alan (California Radiant) Forbesdelcrossv
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 901

Very nicely done!

What's with the ground wire on the tank?

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,106

@delcrossv

Some locations want a bond wire between hot and cold. I am not sure if it is a NEC requirement……….yet.

Its to make sure the HW is grounded since there is plastic everywhere now.

delcrossv
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,501

It certainly is refreshing to see such attention to detail. Even the bonding wire is nicely shaped! Thanks 😊

Yours, Larry

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,428

Why a union on the expansion tank if it is small enough to unscrew?

SuperTech
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 889

I don't think those TPRV's are code compliant with all of those 90°'s in the piping and fittings beyond them.

• Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 665
    edited October 12

Way better than this slop I found last week. The mixing valve controller transformer sits unmounted on top of the box, has never been functional in 4 years. Flues are poorly supported with intake Y's on their sides. The clay floor sink is acid mush. The tape shot shows the location between a cold main 4" tee and the 2" cold side tailpiece of the mixer. There should be a recirculation balance tee and a check valve there. Found the both vfd pressure booster pumps running at 100% making hot water with friction. The list could go on….. sorry I had to tell somebody. I feel better now. Regarding your post, it's nice to see those clean joints and the pipe insulation fitted so well, it doesn't even need any electrical tape!

delcrossv
  • You can undo the union with the tank still strapped in. If you have no union, you have to unstrap the tank first before you start unthreading it and if you've ever tried to manage a waterlogged x-tank, it feels like it's filled with lead.

Secondly, when you reinstall the new tank, it can be very hard to start the threads.Somehow, aligning the tank with the threads is hard. Not a problem if you have a union.

delcrossvLarry Weingarten
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,406

"Salivatin' like Pavlov's Dog..." Rolling Stones Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,406
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,143

@Alan (California Radiant) Forbes

Have a look at what McMaster sells.
    Scroll down a bit to the fittings.

That may not be what your guy used, but it could probably make your work look just as good.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • I see that. What a thoroughly nice selection. But I questioned him once about his materials and methods and he said it was all freehand and he’s not the kind of guy to embellish or stretch the truth. If you met him once, you would agree.