Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McClain Natural Gas Hot Water Boiler

Millie
Millie Member Posts: 4
edited October 8 in Carbon Monoxide Awareness

Hoping for some clarity and direction here. Our gas company shut off our gas back in May 2024 in order to change the meter. I didn't get around to calling them to turn the gas back on until a couple of weeks ago (Sept 2024). When they turned it on, they immediately shut it down. We were told that it was reading 2000 ppm and needed to be serviced. We called the company who last serviced the boiler in Dec 2023 (thermal coupler). They came in, did I do not know what, and told us it was still reading 1000 ppm and it was again shut down. They recommended a good cleaning. They have a 3-tier cleaning…….good, better, and best. Three different price ranges also. The boiler is approx 40 years old and we have cast iron baseboards. In addition to the thermal coupler, we've had the pressure valve replaced twice and the tank replaced once in the last 24 years that we've owned this house. I've got one guy telling me that it just needs to be cleaned and another telling me to just replace it as it is past it's lifespan and inefficient. In addition, cleaning may not take care of the problem and we'll have spent money on it that could go to a new boiler. Looking for advice. What would any knowledgeable people here recommend?? Edit: I am in Northern MN and the nights are starting to get cold. Thankfully we have a wood burning fireplace to get through until the boiler issue is resolved. TIA

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,467

Find a competent contractor to work on it. Where are you located? If it is sooted up they should know that and how to clean it and fix whatever caused it to soot up.

Please edit to remove pricing, Pricing of services is not allowed.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,796
    edited October 8

One of the rules here are NO PRICES. Since you did not state what is included in each price, Maybe it is OK but I might recommend that you use the edit feature above your post where there are three dots ( … ) and change it to something like this:

They have a 3-tier cleaning…….good, better, and best. Good is $, Better is $$ and Best is over $$k. The boiler is approx 40 years old and we have cast iron baseboards.

I cant see that maintenance of more that your first option should not do the job. there is not that much you can do to that boiler, other than vacuum clean any carbon that may have formed inside it.

Replacing a boiler can be near 10 times the last number you posted just for reference.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• gyrfalcon
    gyrfalcon Member Posts: 176
    edited October 8

what city and state are you in?

someone here may a reputable contract in your area. You can also use the function on this website to find someone to service your boiler.

my current boiler is nearing 40 years old and is in pretty good shape. I’ve had several different companies and small business individuals give service on my boiler and it seems like a crapshoot on what kind of quality work they do.

if you truly do have a CO leak in your house due to the malfunctioning boiler you really need to get that dealt with. Do you have a backup heat source?

Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • Millie

I edited it. Sorry about that. I do have a quote for a new boiler, but if it can be repaired…….I'm told the old ones are much better than what they have these days. Not sure about the efficiency though

HeatingHelp.com
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,291
    edited October 8

The most important thing is figuring out why it sooted up. They can do the best cleaning possible and it will be a waste of time if the boiler soots up again. Combustion air supply needs to be checked, the chimney/venting checked, gas pressures checked and a full combustion analysis performed. Hopefully you can find a tech who is trained in combustion analysis and equipped with a digital combustion analyzer.

gyrfalconMillie
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,131

Find a different contractor. This one is Sales Oriented!

SuperTechmattmia2LRCCBJEdTheHeaterMan
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,101

What model boiler? A 40 year old atmospheric gas boiler is nothing but a hunk of cast iron and some burners. It's hard to make it NOT burn clean. IMO, you're being taken for a ride.

pecmsgLRCCBJmattmia2EdTheHeaterMan
  • Millie

It's a Weil-McLain Model CGM or P-CG (Series 8) gas-fired boiler. I have the original manual for it.

• Millie

We do thankfully. We are in northern Minnesota about an hour and a half northwest of Duluth MN

• gyrfalcon
    edited October 9

I see Aaztec Heating(612) 201-6996
    9741 Humboldt Ave S
    Bloomington, MN 55337
    We have over 30 years experience specializing in steam and hot water heating systems in the Twin Cities and surrounding metro area.

worth a phone call.

Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,796
    edited October 9

That looks like a 5 hour drive @gyrfalcon. I'm sure there is someone closer

there are reviews on YELP about Plumbing & Heating Contractors. Try that before you call your next PRO. Unfortunately there are non on HeatingHelp.com that can be recommended. 

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

gyrfalcon
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,467

You can try looking for contractors certified in combustion from the National Comfort Institute.

SuperTech
  • gyrfalcon

Maybe the folks at Aaztec know of someone in the area. I realize it’s a long distance away but it’s worth a phone call.