Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell Controller keeps shutting off

brading
brading Member Posts: 8

I have a Trainco Eurostar 40/50 oil fire boiler with a Honeywell controller as per picture. When I just have it on Hot Water it runs fine. When I have it on Hot Water and Heating it runs for a maximum of 30 minutes then cuts off. the screen goes dead and I have to switch the power off and back on for the figures to come back up. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this. Also what model is the Honeywell controller.

Comments

• brading

I now know the controller is a Honeywell ST699

• BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 303

Dirt in the contacts

• brading

Here is the back of the controller, wonder if the bit a the bottom left hand corner has a fault.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,176

What's overheating? And why?

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,658

yea…. Replace that

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• brading

Thanks for the reply Ed. I take it that I will not be able to get the same model could recommend a suitable model please. Thank You Paul

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,078

Where are you located? I've never seen that control. What system is it connected to?

• brading

Kings Lynn. Think it is a very old version. As per my original post.

• EdTheHeaterMan

That appears to be a thermostat of sorts. originally available in UK

Found a listing on amazon.co.uk but it is unavailvable.

I would need to know more about how it operates. Does your Trianco have a wiring diagram showing that Honeywell ST699?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• brading

Afraid not Ed the boiler was here when we bought the bungalow. Our Honeywell ST688 is a programmer that lets me set what time the boiler come on and goes off for heating the water for the sinks and bath, and I can do the same for when the boiler comes on for the radiators. We have a separate thermostat for controlling the temperature. I take it you are in the USA

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan

Yes, USA. And I am not familiar with that device. Does your Trianco have a sticker or plate with a model number and serial number? Sometimes it will have the specifications or rating on that sticker or plate.

Edward Young Retired

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,078

So it's not a thermostat, but a timer with a bypass. It seems it's some code in your area.

The issue is, here in the states, most residential controls are 24 vac powered, where you guys use 230 vac. And what with the 50 hertz stuff? 60 is where its at.

Are there not neighbors with a similar system, or any local heating companies you could ask? Because we could give you some information that directly violates the codes in your area. And that could have a direct effect on our awesome alliance.

SuperTech
  • brading

Hi Ed and HVACNUT. I have just spoken to a local heating guy and he has confirmed that the controller is faulty and to change it a modern Honeywell ST9400. So I am going to get one and get an electrician to change the wiring over. Thank very much both of you for your help, really appreciate it. Have a nice day. Cheers Paul

HVACNUT
  • brading

Just an update. Changed the Honeywell ST699 to a Honeywell ST9600 and the system is working fine now.

SuperTechHVACNUT