Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

99-year-old reliable (?) boiler - what would you do?

2»

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,658
    edited September 26

I happen to live in South Carolina. The weather here is milder than New Jersey / Pennsylvania where I worked on many oil and gas boilers for customers, from over 100 years old to the new ones that I installed myself, and everything else in between. If that 100 years old description confused you, I meant the boilers were over 100 years, but I also had a customer that was 99 years old, She never made it to 100 though!

Since everyone else is hi-jacking this discussion to tell their story about some other heating system that has nothing to do with the original post, perhaps I can bore you with my heating system. I live in a one story ranch style home that was built on a slab. It has no basement. It is over 50 years old and is heated by a heat pump that has been replaced about 2 years before I moved in. I have lived here for about 2 years now. That would make the heat pump about 4 years old now.

Except for the outdoor unit, all the duct work, air handler and auxiliary parts of the system are in the attic. There is about 5" of blown in insulation on the attic floor which is laying on the first floor ceiling. all the ductwork was replaced when the new heat pump was installed, but the registers in the ceiling look like the original.  To be crystal clear, there are two parts that extend from the attic to the outdoor unit. That would be the lineset and low voltage control wire.  And the thermostat is actually located in the hallway between the kitchen and the bathroom.  So I guess not everything is in the attic.

I am not a fan of this system because I need to put the temperature way up to 72° to get close to anything comfortable and that drives the electric bill well over $80.00 in February. Since the house is built on a slab, the floors are made of concrete, and even with the temperature set at 72° the floors still feel cold. Does anyone have a suggestion for making this home comfortable? By the way, I don't want to spend any money of your suggestions, but I thought I would just put it out there.

Not really looking for an answer to this.  I just wanted to show how ridiculous it is to hi-jack a post when it is so easy to create your own. 

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

muvvinPC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,432
    edited September 26

If i'm not mistaken the combustion efficiency percent is how much of the carbon and hydrogen in the fuel becomes heat, not how much of that heat is transferred to the water.

Charlie from wmass
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

@EdTheHeaterMan the combustion efficiency is only the efficiency of transference of the heat into the boiler. It is not the efficiency of the boiler to the system. Due to the thermal Mass of this boiler and the surface area both interior and exterior there's a huge system loss. That means that even if you could get this to burn at 70% efficiency in all likelihood you would only have between 50 and 60% efficiency to the building envelope. There is also a huge loss up the chimney whether the boiler is running or not.

Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,658
    edited September 26

@Charlie from wmass said: "@EdTheHeaterMan the combustion efficiency is only the efficiency of transference of the heat into the boiler"

@EdTheHeaterMan said" there are other factors that determine how efficiently the heat exchanger moves that heat from the flame to the living space, but that is not considered in Combustion efficiency.

so I couldn't agree with you more Charlie. Looks like we are both on the same page. Check out the illustrations!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Charlie from wmass
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,432

This is where everyone waving their arms and saying that combustion analysis is something that can't be explained is a problem. Since no one explains the convention used I have no way of knowing what that is. In reality it is missing the chemical efficiency and only has the thermal efficiency, I assumed from it being combustion analysis it was analyzing the combustion process rather than the mechanical process.

You have to work in rankin or kelvin for your 1000 and 500 example to work out to 50% because at 0f and 0c there is still a significant amount of energy in a material.

ttekushan_3
  • Charlie from wmass

@mattmia2 we measure the available oxygen and the CO, CO², delta T from combustion air to flue temperature. It is both physical and chemical efficiency. But only through the combustion chamber.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • RTW
    RTW Member Posts: 87

Still No Feedback from OP on "Charley from Mass" post asking whether heating cost is $500 a month vs $500 a year? Would like to know state ie. is it Arizona?

Regards,

RTW

• muvvin
    muvvin Member Posts: 6
    edited September 29

Yep, $500 a year. We live in Montana. Here is my work:

PC7060ttekushan_3
  • muvvin

Thank you for the advice, Tim, it is much appreciated. I am attaching the pictures you requested.

ttekushan_3
  • leaking
    leaking Member Posts: 56

have you flushed it? Does it knock? Is it electronic pilot ? I would give it a coat of paint 😄

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,297

Nice, what do you pay for a therm of natural gas out there?

• muvvin
    edited September 29

Edit: double post, deleted

ttekushan_3
  • muvvin

As of last month, it was $0.85/therm ($0.25 for supply and $0.61 for delivery).

@leaking We haven't flushed it. I am not confident in my ability to do the work and I haven't found someone in town willing to work with this boiler (yet). It does not knock. It does have an electronic pilot. Haha, yes, I think some little flames painted on the side would spiff it up quite nicely.

PC7060
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,297
    edited September 30

Our cost per therm in Virginia is same; our delivery fee is much higher, $1.020 per therm which puts us 50% higher total per therm. Adjusting for gas delivery costs, our overall costs are similar.

• RTW
    RTW Member Posts: 87

Curious as to square footage of house thats heated by this boiler for $500 year? Is this steam boiler in Montana the only heating source for the home or is it complimented with another ie. wood stove etc.? I appreciate the pricing clarification. My boiler is circa 1964 single pipe steam so I appreciate older reliable boilers that last

Regards,

RTW

• Charlie from wmass
    edited September 30

@RTW The boiler is gravity hot water not steam.

cell # 413-841-6726