Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Homemade Wood Stove Hydronic Radiant Heat Setup

Options
2»

Comments

• rbs12
    rbs12 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    @MikeinMaine Hi Mike, I am not too familiar with thermosiphon loops but simply used a UPS system like @Solid_Fuel_Man suggested. The one that I have will run the system for about 4 hours, plenty of time for me to hook up my generator or get home from work. With all the other fail safes I incorporated I am not too concerned about beyond 4 hours as the stove will not be hot enough at that point to super heat the water. I am in Southern NE but have property in Maine near Sunday River as well. More than happy to answer any questions you might have.
  • gvdevnt
    gvdevnt Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Very interesting setup , would like to learn more if I could connect
  • rbs12
    Options

So I built this whole system and wife didn’t want to run the wood stove this year. She said the smoke is too much for her. Has anyone ever installed a air purifier in the ceiling above the stove that will filter out the smoke and then recirculate into the house?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,188
    Options

Is the smoke from opening the door to tend the fire? There should always be a draft up the chimney and not much smoke escaping?

Opening the air adjustment before you open the door can help .

I have seen homemade hoods over wood boilers to help eliminate that small leakage when the door is opened, it only runs when the door opens

check the Hearth website for good wood burner experiences

I agree it doesn’t take much leakage to stink up the room

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • rbs12
    Options

@hot_rod yeah just small amounts that add up and she wants a large air purifier. Just didn’t know if an in ceiling system existed so I don’t have a huge hood over my stove.

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,037
    Options

I'll leave the hydronic issues to the pros here. As for the stove and its legality, it depends. If you are in a jurisdiction where the International Residential Code is in force, then it is illegal. Freestanding woodstoves must be listed to UL 1482 and installed per the listing. I don't recognize that stove but it does not appear to be one that is EPA 2020 certified. What is the age, make and model of the stove and its EPA emissions rating?

If you want to place anything within the stated clearances to combustibles, it must have passed ASTM E-136 or meet the definition in NFPA 211.

Does your insurance carrier know about this? Did you pull a permit and have it inspected by a municipality? If no and there's an Oops!, you could be held criminally liable.

If wood fired hydronic heating was such a swell idea, don't you think all the mfrs. would be all over this?

For one, cooling the stove drastically decreases combustion efficiency and increases pollution. It's a good thing you have an insulated ss liner. I'd put a barometric damper in the chimney connector to maintain a stable draft as the temps fluctuate.

Never seen a connector angle off a stove's rear take-off up 45 degrees into a chimney but acceptable. If it doesn't have a slip section, put one in so you can disconnect the pipe without moving the stove. Where is your cleanout?

Pics of the chimney, especially the cleanout and termination with roof clearances?