Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement Air Handler for Apollo Hydro Heat System

jbusby527
jbusby527 Member Posts: 1
I have an old Apollo Hydro Heat System and recently replaced the Hot Water Heater and now need to replace the Air Handler (Attic Unit). Model is 36 AHW 3B. I don't plan to be in this house much longer and I'm trying to avoid having to purchase a furnace and an A/C unit before selling if at all possible. This is the sole source for heat and air in the house and I've not had any luck in finding a cross or replacement for it.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    edited May 2023
    What do you think will happen when that home is inspected? If not right you'll get gigged and have to pay more.

Do it right the 1st time, don't pass the buck!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    You should be able to cross dimensions to something close. 36 may mean 3 ton capacity.
    Dimension of the cabinet, motor horsepower, coil dimension.

What failed, the motor and coil should be available to replace if the cabinet is sound.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I'm not familiar with Apollo units but thought they were self contained water heater/hydro air packages. Is the whole thing in the attic or just the air handler?

• pecmsg
    HVACNUT said:

I'm not familiar with Apollo units but thought they were self contained water heater/hydro air packages. Is the whole thing in the attic or just the air handler?

replace the Air Handler (Attic Unit).
  • JamesWinslow
    JamesWinslow Member Posts: 1
    The air handler you want is: HWCG 2.5-3.0 Ton Multi Speed Air Handler, PSC Motor (800-1210 CFM)
    Brand: Comfort-Aire SKU: HWCG36T0A
    You will have to install a circulating pump in addition to installing the air handler. The Refrigerant will be R410A so you will have to replace the condensing with a new 3 ton R-410A and either flush out the refrigerant line-set because the mineral oil in the R-22 unit is not compatible with the new R-410A and the POE oil. I have an apartment complex that we had to change the Apollo units with the Comfortaire units.
    kcopp
  • pecmsg
    edited May 2023

The air handler you want is: HWCG 2.5-3.0 Ton Multi Speed Air Handler, PSC Motor (800-1210 CFM)
    Brand: Comfort-Aire SKU: HWCG36T0A
    You will have to install a circulating pump in addition to installing the air handler. The Refrigerant will be R410A so you will have to replace the condensing with a new 3 ton R-410A and either flush out the refrigerant line-set because the mineral oil in the R-22 unit is not compatible with the new R-410A and the POE oil. I have an apartment complex that we had to change the Apollo units with the Comfortaire units.

Mineral and POE are compatible. The flushing agents do more damage than good. A simple blow out with N2 is all that's needed.
    I highly recommend a suction filter. POE cleans the inside of the copper.