Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain Gold Oil Boiler pwgo3

PiyatiMJ
PiyatiMJ Member Posts: 8

During a power outage some of my boiler wires were burnt out. I had a wrong person work on it and now the whole wiring is messed up. I have 2 sets of cables coming from my wall…1 has a black, white, ground and the other has white, black, red, ground. How do I connect it all back togeher? It also has grundfos circ pump, honeywell l6006c aquastat conroller, l8148a aquastat, ps 851-m-120 low water shutoff. How do I connect all these at the junction box with a transformer? I also need to see how external wiring to the low water cutoff is as I can't understand the wiring diagram. Desperately need help.

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833

Call a pro since you had the wrong guy he may have removed a part or left things out of adjustment.

• PiyatiMJ

I live in a remote village and it's impossible to get any qualified maintenance help here

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139

If you have trouble reading the schematic then you probably need to find someone who can. The wiring schematic tells you what wire goes where. Can you find an electrician, handyman or anyone else who may be qualified? Perhaps if you post pictures of the diagram and your equipment it would make it easier for us to help you

EdTheHeaterManHVACNUT
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited March 2023

My guess is that you have "No Heat" right now and you are getting the same answers on other forums. We can try to help, but there needs to be someone near you that can help in person. Where do you get your fuel oil from? Can they recommend anyone? Post some pictures of what was damaged by the electrial incident. If it is an easy fix, then you may be able to DIY. But if it involves rewiring everything you mentioned, you will have to find someone that understands wiring diagrams at the least.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    MikeAmann
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168

You probably have two independent power feeds coming from the wall there — one 120 VAC, one 240 VAC. You have a bunch of sensitive — and expensive — equipment. Without a wiring diagram and some test instruments at the very least you stand an excellent chance of burning out the equipment.

You also stand a pretty good chance of getting injjured yourself, or just plain killed.

Find an electrician.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited March 2023

The PWGO model number means there is no tankelss coil and therefore has the L8148A. Cold start boiler. The L6006C is something that is not a Weil McLain provided part. Also the PS 851-M-120 is not a Weil McLain provided part. I can see how the wrong guy can mess that up. Can you provide pictures?

The transformer??? Do you have zone valves? (How many thermostats?) They will be a real problem for "The Wrong Guy"

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • PiyatiMJ

Here are pics of my boiler, wires and parts. I hope I did only the boiler pics I wanted to send. Need help connecting the whole works properly from the wall

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506

Please post the pictures on this website.

steve
  • PiyatiMJ

• PiyatiMJ

New pics
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,377
    PiyatiMJ said:

During a power outage some of my boiler wires were burnt out.

This make little sense. More likely an Over-Voltage surge event at the beginning or end of the "power outage" event damaged a piece of equipment. The wiring looks mostly intact and don't seem burnt.

Where does this wire at Red arrow going away to ? You or a capable person need to actually troubleshoot the whole system correctly to provide proper repair direction. Otherwise it is a waste of time and may make matters worse, like at the Orange circle, that situation don't look wise. Hopefully the power to the system is off.

Were the pictures taken at different times of the work repair effort ? The wires look different at the Blueish arrow.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    I just got your priv. msg. and I still don't know what to tell you. So I will ask you one question at a time.

Is your oil burner currently operating or able to operate? Yes or No
  • PiyatiMJ
    My btoiler is totally off now because I don't know where the wires should connect at junction box on the wall. I've tried troubleshooting but it doesn't run like it should. It can come on but i can't seem to find where the circulating pump should be connected at the wall. I often wonder what the red wire coming from the wire connects to.
  • 109A_5

One Pipe System
  • 109A_5
    edited May 2023
    Well if I had to guess, I'd say;

Ground is the bare Copper and Green.
    Neutral is White.
    Hot (120 VAC power) is Black.
    Hot Switched by a Control / Safety device Red and Yellow and some Black.

Seems like some wires are missing (control side) at the Low Water Cut Off.

And I don't see the other end of the Yellow Wire.
    EDIT: Found it, it goes to a Red and hopefully, eventually to the Circulator pump.

The pictures help but more it needed to fill in the missing pieces.

From what I can see it does not look that bad, although it could be more neat.

EDIT Again: I like the colors but switching them in the middle of a run is kind of odd.

Be safe !!!

One Pipe System
  • PiyatiMJ
    I can take a few more pic. What is burner circuit in the figure for the low water? What do I connect them with or is there something I can stick them in? I do try my best to be careful thank you
  • 109A_5
    edited May 2023
    PiyatiMJ said:

I can take a few more pic. What is burner circuit in the figure for the low water? What do I connect them with or is there something I can stick them in? I do try my best to be careful thank you

The Low Water Cut Off (LWCO) disables or shuts off the boiler's burner if the water becomes low in the boiler, it is a safety device.

Looks like there is a wire or two missing at the LWCO that would supply the Hot power to the boiler's burner circuit. It maybe bypassed somewhere else, which may be unsafe, since it disables the LWCO's safety functionality.

Although I bet the way it should be wired is the Hot comes from the Aquastat then looped through screw terminal B and screw terminal C of the LWCO (jumper item E, screw terminal C to screw terminal H is removed) and that provides the Hot for the burner assembly.

Is this a Fuel Oil burner ?
    Who does your annual service ?
    If no service has been done it would not surprise me if there is other issues besides the wiring.

One Pipe System
  • PiyatiMJ
    It is a fuel oil burner and now that I own the house I cannot get any adequate annual service..
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited May 2023
    Now that I have a better idea of your situation I understand your problem. If I were to be the person to come in on your situation, not knowing what was done by other unqualified persons, I would start from scratch.

Me personally, I would turn off the electric switch(s) to the oil burner so there was no power at all. I would give you a flat rate to correctly wire the entire system. (About 3 hours labor but I would get it done in less than 1 hour) Then I would disconnect every wire, remove every wire nut, separate every connector, and make sure that no wire is connected to anything in the entire control system. The LWCO, The L8148, Zone valves and transformers, the Primary Control, the burner motor, the ignition transformer, and every other screw terminal, spade connector, or other means of connecting wires to controls.

Then I would turn on the power switch and determine what wire was Neutral (usually a white from the circuit breaker panel or fuse box) and what wire was Hot 120V (usually a Black wire or sometimes Red wire). I would also make sure that no other wire was Hot. if there are more than one Hot wire, then i would select a Black one and cap off any other hot wires with a wire nut and forget about using them. Because you only need one 15 Amp circuit for all things oil burner heating, including zone valves.

Once I have the Hot and Neutral wires as the source of 120V power, I would follow the normal wiring diagram for each component in order to provide safe efficient operation .

Are you able to do this? Or do you think that you should get the village electrician involved? I can communicate with anyone that is qualified and understands the dangers of electricity. I will then communicate the dangers of combustion and why each control must be properly connected electrically to insure safe operation.

This can be completed in real time over the phone or video call. I must be convinced the person doing the work has the necessary understanding.

Otherwise I will not assist anyone that can not demonstrate minimum common sense.

What do you think about that?
    MikeAmann
  • EdTheHeaterMan

MikeAmann