Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oversized Boiler

Options
robinmunroe
robinmunroe Member Posts: 6
edited April 2023 in Chimneys & Flues
Time to think about replacing 30 year old boiler. Adjacent flue is woodstove. Chimney centrally located. 7" C vent about 4" from plaster at thimble. Typical 8x8 flue tiles. Utica MGB 150K. Don't need mod/con. Looking for smaller (100K), maybe 5" vent. My question is: since 5" may still be too close to combustibles, can B vent help my situation?

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    Yes B-Vent will work for your situation 
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • robinmunroe
    Options
    That's good. I can't find help on the web. Will 5" or 6" B vent fit in the 7" thimble? Does B vent need to continue beyond the thimble (up the chimney)? And how would you support it?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited April 2023
    Options
    It should be code to have a two foot space around the boiler .....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Mad Dog_2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,343
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

It should be code to have a two foot space around the boiler .....

Um yeah... where is this? Perhaps better not say. There is no code I know of which would permit that installation.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • robinmunroe
    Options
    Thanks, it seems to me that the sides conform to minimums with the exception of the control side you see in the photo. This brings me to the replacement (Peerless MH04/05) and original vent question to correct to minimums. I need to know about B vent installations.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,985
    Options
    Oh My.....Hate to have to service that!  Tell me there is a backside to that space with access to other side of boiler.  Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,985
    Options
    The original installer had a Thang for putting his Gate & Globe Valves upside down.  Ok...As long as they hold right?  Mad Dog 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

The original installer had a Thang for putting his Gate & Globe Valves upside down.  Ok...As long as they hold right?  Mad Dog 

Pumps also
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2