Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An FDNY, Modern American Legend and customer of Mine has passed...

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
911 First Responder, FDNY Legend , Battalion Chief (Recently retired) Phil Tufano has left us way too young.  I first met Phil though my Heatinghelp.com Find a Contractor Ad about 20 years ago.  A humble civil servant, his lovely teacher wife Irene and young boy had no heat and a cracked Old Peerless steamer with Beckett.Burner.  We jumped right on it
and didn't have time to file any permits.  They needed heat...now!  Phil, whose nickname was Cueball for his perfectly shaved head was cut from Central Casting 6 foot 5  285lbs.
Neck bigger than Iron Mike Tyson's...Handsome Devil too.  He explained he wasn't rich, but wanted The Best they could afford product wise & on the install.... We picked up a Burnham V-8 and a Riello burner and got them heat 11pm that night. That was a Triple Crown 👑 promise...if it was AT ALL possible to get you heat that day..We'd stay till 3am if needed...Irene put the coffee pot on and fed the Small Army all through the day and night and Phil broke out the Beers 🍻 at the end.  I actually ran in to a Plumbing Inspector by chance dragging out the old boiler to the curb (nailed!).  "Good morning Matt..you're getting a permit for this...RIGHT?" I explained to Dominick,  "The toughest Inspector that ever lived,"  that this was a 911 FDNY Hero and we'd be down later with the Permit.fees.  All was cool.  Phil & Irene loved their new boiler and heartily recommended us...they became good freinds.   Phil and 3 other first responders appeared on the Cover of Sports Illustrated after 911 in his role as a Star FDNY Middle Linebacker and Rugby 🏉 star.  Phil played easily with Top D1 College football dudes and International Professional Rugby players.. well in to his 50s!!!! He had NFL size, speed and Talent and was a sight to behold on the 🏈 gridiron and Rugby 🏉 pitch.  I never played with him or against him (Amityville Rugby did play NYPD & FDNY back in the early 90s, but I can imagine this bear 🐻 of a Man sending me happily  flying across the Line of Scrimmage (The cut & chop blocks (banned now) were devised to stop giant  beasts like this!)  ..Phil lived "The strenuous Life" highly recommended by the Great Teddy Roosevelt....He never stopped..He rose to the lofty height of  FDNY Battalion Chief (a very long and hard road that only goes to FDNY Heroes among heroes after grueling exams.)  In his "spare" time  hah! Phil MC'd all the FDNY Boxing Events..up there in his tux...bulging out if it..perfectly round shiny skull ....full of cool G.I. Joe  battle scars. Phil could have been a Character actor in Prison, Football and War movies....Phil was A sight to behold and a guy you wanted on  YOUR side.  Phil had JUST retired last year to Florida to spend well deserved time  with Irene and his boy, Jr.  I'm going to miss you, Bro....The great people I have met, specifically from The Wall, Heatinghelp.com and The Holohan Clan.  Another blessing.  God Bless..Hug your kids 🤗 Mad 🐕 Dog
PC7060Bob HarperSTEVEusaPAIronman

Comments

• RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    Sounds like a great guy. Sorry for your loss
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited April 2023
    Would YOU want Phil angry with you?   Fires 🔥 and big grown men ran like H--- when Cueball was on the scene.  I am going to meet my Childhood and Lifelong Hero of mine .in NJ today, The Greatest Middle Linebacker to ever play the game, Bears #51 Richard  Butkus and his son USC All American, Matthew Butkus for a Photo op.  I will tell them about Phil...He will be honored today and Always...Mad Dog
    PC7060
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks Ray. I'm hurting today.  The Long and Winding Road....." Amen, Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Like his football #58 (Jack Lambert Steelers I'm certain), Phil packed a huge punch 👊 in his 58 years..Live like there's no tommorow...This may be your last!  Mad Dog
  • mahavinman
    mahavinman Member Posts: 1
    Only a year retired?  Terrible and tragic. 
    Sounded like a great guy. There’s a fair chance I met this man at HQ or the firehouse in years gone by. Sat down with a lot of chiefs over the years. I am sorry for your loss Matt, and that of his family. The good ones always go too soon. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    58 yo, way to young to go. Uh rah, my respects to you and you friend. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Sorry for your loss.
    Mad Dog_2
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Looks like a prop. Sorry for your loss. MD
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    You're a Rugger too...John, I see. I was a Wing Foward...yes he was..a Prop and First row and 2nd Row...wherever they needed an OX!   .Super powerful man in everyway.  I got so much Word of Mouth Business from him and Irene over the years.  They Loved Their Steam Heat!  I'm still reeling today.  Thanks guys  for the Great Support at The Wall.  Mad Dog 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    58 way too young. Sorry for your loss.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks Ed! He packed so much in to 58 years though...so that was the length of his 'race ....fighting the good fight!"   Mad Dog
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    I'm so sorry for your loss, Matt.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thank you, Erin  matt