Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This weeks case,The Case of the Hissing Air Vent

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,481

I was tempted to call this case the Case of How Dan Holohan Saved My Marriage. It is probably an easy case for you to solve but it wasnt for me. I was an apprentice and we bought an old home with steam heat. I knew nothing about steam and that system used to wake us up all night long with Pssst. I asked all the journeymen about it and they suggested ripping it out. It led to arguments with the wife. It wasnt until my instructor at apprentice school leant me his copy of the Lost Art of Steam Heating and I found the issue.

Have at it Detectives. As usual I wont post any replies until the video is released Friday morning.

Ray

Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 905
    Options

My first 2 guesses , is that the boiler's operating steam presure was set way too high and/or the main line vents did not work or were non-existent, thereby making the rad vents do all the venting.

mattmia2
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options

It was the "inhale" at the end of a call for heat so you installed a vacuum breaker in the basement

NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    mattmia2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options

Was it the pet rattlesnake?

And of course my favorite whistling comment to the customer is . It forgot the words so it just whisltes along. Your radiator was trying to whistle with a lisp. PSSSTPTTSSSTTPsstpt.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    GGross
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 905
    Options

@EdtheHeaterMan; I like the humor; "Your radiator was trying to whistle with a lisp. PSSSTPTTSSSTTPsstpt".

• RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,481
    Options

Well @retiredguy you nailed it again. Congrats The main air vent was missing. I learned about steam at my house.

@ethicalpaul Not on this one but have installed vacuum breakers on brewery steam systems

@EdTheHeaterMan LOL made me laugh

Thanks everyone

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    ethicalpaul