Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"Landlord" T-stat...

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
Any decent digital options out there for Thermostats that limit the high end on the heating? Need one where the folks want it at 80F and insist on Shorts and flip flops in march in new england...

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Best control to give tenants is one not connected to anything.
    kcoppEdTheHeaterManMaxMercy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    tekmar for simple. I think all the Ecobee allows you to limit set temperature with password protection.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    You can do this with a honeywell T4 if you want. You get to set limits on high the thermostat will go, and also can add a 'false' additional couple degrees to the display if you want. pretty simple thermostat that won't break the bank, my go to for most systems at this point.
    kcoppfenkel
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 575
    If you are looking for out of the box limited thermostats.. they do sell rental property/landlord thermostats.

Theres a website named landlordstat that sells tamperproof stats with different limits and one with an auto setback. Sets temp back to 68 after its increased to the limit of 71 after a few hours automatically.

But as others have stated already, many modern stats will have a password protect option.

Depending on the tenant, nothing may stop them short of not putting one at all in their residence. They could just take whatever you install and put one of their own. And when you come to check on it.. they put it back before you know it!

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    use a stat with a remote sensor
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    It is not for me its a customer. I dont think these tenants are that savvy to pull off a thermostat.
  • JimP
    JimP Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2023
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    edited March 2023
    i used to use the the invensys/robertshaw 9700/9800 series although the 9700i iirc was the battery version and i had all kinds of trouble with them. but the 9701i and other variants that were 3 wire were the bomb. they could take remote sensors so sometimes i set them up in the basement next to the boiler and just ran a sensor. in other houses where i tenants who desired to twiddle the knobs they allowed an upper temp limit so i would set a 68 to 70 degree living temp depending on where the stat was located, i would set it a little warmer if the apartment had a notably cooler periphery; but it allowed the tenant to bump it a few degrees depending where i set the upper limit which made them feel in control but the program returned to the landlord program after a time set point was passed. AFAIK these are discon. not sure why. I wouldnt give up the ones i got and during the phaseout i bought a dozen 9815i on ebay for like 12 bucks a pop.

but ill be interested to ck. out the recommended stats as i have to decide on my next goto. like the T4 'calibration' described.

but i will say, in buildings where i pay the electric (for varying but common reasons) I was way better off giving the tenant some feeling of control and let them get what they prefer for comfort from the fossil system rather than have them run electric heaters. but @kcopp : "shorts and flip-flops", I can do you one better, we rented to a guy who later on told us he was a nudist. whatever floats your boat, but in the winter he was using his rent in electricty even though i set the thermostat to 72. I get hives if it is that hot in my house but he was killing me trying to get 80. nice guy, but thank god he moved south. better climate for that :-)

brian
  • jumper
    YorkHydro (in seventies) bypassed individual meters to avoid having to collect from tenants. Non-electric heating. Then the utility had to invest $$$ for more capacity so it may have been a loser for it. How do tenants use more electricity when they're not metered?
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    edited March 2023
    jumper said:

How do tenants use more electricity when they're not metered?

there is no tongue in cheek emoji but i'm presuming you are joking?
  • jumper

jumper said:

How do tenants use more electricity when they're not metered?

there is no tongue in cheek emoji but i'm presuming you are joking?
    No I am not joking. Do they leave lights on when they're away? Do they leave stove on? Do they leave refrigerator open?

Electrically heated is different story. See thermostats at max and windows open.