Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Compression tools

rob51
rob51 Member Posts: 67
Does anyone have any recommendations on which tools to buy for compression fittings when using copper pipe?  Seems like a lot of the tools are for pex.  Are they interchangeable?  Thank you.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Adjustable or open end wrenches work fine for this type of compression fitting. I smear some chapstick on the threads and olive on compression fittings, stem lube works also.

Flare nut wrenches are box type with an opening. Martian Tool still builds wrenches in the US, they have flare nut selections.

Caleffi has this wrench for manifold nuts.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2
  • rob51
    hot_rod said:

Adjustable or open end wrenches work fine for this type of compression fitting. I smear some chapstick on the threads and olive on compression fittings, stem lube works also.

Flare nut wrenches are box type with an opening. Martian Tool still builds wrenches in the US, they have flare nut selections.

Caleffi has this wrench for manifold nuts.

Ah yes, perhaps my terminology is off. I think I am referring to pro set fittings. I think they have a rubber ring? Thank you.
    Mad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited March 2023
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    if you you buy from a local plumbing supplier, many have tools to rent or lend. I suspect tool rental shops do also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    rob51
  • rob51
    @GGross. Yes, this is what I am referring to.  I saw a lot of tools compress the fitting that looked battery powered and very expensive.  I think I’m either looking to rent one of these or maybe by a tool that uses only mechanical leverage and no electricity to cut down on the cost.  I’m wondering if anyone has used such a tool and has recommendations for one.  Thank you.
  • hot_rod
    It’s a beast of a tool, definitely not for tight spaces. I have a REMS version of this. Even with long handles it takes some effort

If you only have one job, just rent or borrow a cordless tool
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    GGross
  • rob51
    @hot_rod how much does that “beast” weigh?😂
  • hot_rod
    Mine is a German made product. They make tools out or iron, pronounced I-Ron over there. So mine is very heavy. The steel handles are threaded so you can add pipe extensions

That Bluefin may have some aluminum in it

With my REMS I can switch jaws to crimp any Pex or Pex Al Pex, wire curriers, threaded rod cutter tongs . Any of the tongs that fit their power tools will fit it

I’ve used it mostly for hand crimping 1 and 1-1/4” Pex rings, never tried it on pro press copper fittings.
    You may need 5’ long handles to adequately squeeze 1” copper press fittings🤭
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • rob51
    @hot_rod. Good info!  Thank you!  Haha, 5 feet.  Do you know where I could rent the power tool?  You said plumbing supply shops.  I tried Home Depot, but they don’t have it, so maybe there is another place? 
  • hot_rod
    Plumbing wholesalers in your area. Ferguson, FW Webb, Hajoca, just google plumbing wholesale near me.
    Go to the Viega website, look up the rep for your area. I’ll bet they have a demo or loaner.

Milwaukee, Dewalt have press tools, should be a dealer or rep nearby.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • rob51
    @hot_rod. Thank you very much!