Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Purging air, heat comes through baseboards, then stops

Options
Hi! I posted a few days ago with this issue that has yet to resolve. We’ve had a few professionals come to look and no permanent solution. Our oil burner is in good shape according to the professionals, but we have recurring issues with the heat in our top floor (zone 2 of 2) not staying on. Each time, they purge the air out, it kicks on and then in a matter of maybe an hour, it’s off again and we can’t get the heat pumping again. 1 guy said our coil is leaking and that’s causing it but it’s pricy and I didn’t feel confident in his diagnosis. Any suggestions? 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,319
    Options
    The first and simplest question is what pressure is your system running at, cold and hot? For a two story building, it has to be at at least 12 psi cold -- and 15 psi would be better. It should rise when the boiler is on, but not more than 5 psi. If the pressure isn't adequate, air can get back in to the piping in the second floor and you are back where you started.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • beckyfurboter12
    beckyfurboter12 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    This is the current reading and the pipes are cool leading upstairs 
  • beckyfurboter12
    beckyfurboter12 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    And while the burner was on, the meter didn’t really rise. I also noticed when the boiler kicked on, a drop of water fell from this valve 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,319
    Options
    Those gauges are notoriously inaccurate, but my first impression is that the pressure is just barely adequate cold. You might get a more accurate gauge fitted with a hose connection, and find a drain fitting to attach it to to check.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    What does the tech do to correct the problem when he gets there. Does he add water to the system. What is the pressure when the zone heats.