Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham oil boiler leaking water?

Options
neohioheat
neohioheat Member Posts: 3
I have a burnham boiler that seemed to of leaked a decent bit of water onto my basement floors this morning. But after cleaning up the water and firing the boiler back up it doesn't appear to be leaking and I can't tell where the water originally came from.

It is a V-14A model and has been ran regularly this winter up until 2 days ago when I had a wood insert installed in my fireplace. This morning was the first time it had ran in 48 hours.

Any ideas? 

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    What’s the pressure on the boiler gauge?

Could it be leaking from the relief valve? 
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPA
  • neohioheat
    neohioheat Member Posts: 3
    Options
    @Ironman the pressure was around 15 psi which seems to be normal from what I've seen in the past. However, I've determined its coming from the coil plate cover and am planning on replacing the gasket in the next week or two.

It was interesting to troubleshoot and discover because after I ran the boiler the one morning the gasket must of expanded and sealed back up. I only noticed the leak again after the boiler had cooled all the way back down.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @neohioheat

That is a common problem. Beware of broken bolts hopefully the bolts will come out ok. Clean the boiler surface up with a wire wheel, and the plate as well. Put the new gasket on and pick up some "never seize" or "anti seize" at an auto parts store and put some on the bolts and in the threaded holes, Use a tap to clean out the internal threads if need be. Soaking the bolts in rust blaster or liquid wrench a few days ahead of removal may help