Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WarmRite On floor heating operation pressures

Hello,

I am very unfamiliar with this system I have in my home.  Currently the air pressure on the expansion tank is 0 psi....what should I be applying to this tank?

Part two, what pressure should the gauge be measuring when properly operating?  Unsure if the label on the expansion tank is specific to the expansion tank or the system.

Thanks

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    Unfortunately, there is little online information available to help you answer this question. https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/121871/warmrite-is-dead
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Is the system pressure is in fact 27 psi as shown on the gauge, the pressure in the tank should also read 27. Are you reading at the air stem on the left hand side of the tank?

Really nothing special about Warmrite systems from a pressure standpoint.

27 psi is a bit high and if the boiler has a 30 psi relief valve you could a discharge

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Wmenheere
    Wmenheere Member Posts: 8
    hot_rod said:
    Is the system pressure is in fact 27 psi as shown on the gauge, the pressure in the tank should also read 27. Are you reading at the air stem on the left hand side of the tank? Really nothing special about Warmrite systems from a pressure standpoint. 27 psi is a bit high and if the boiler has a 30 psi relief valve you could a discharge
    The pressure at the air stem reads zero 
  • hot_rod
    is there a shutoff valve on that tank? Take a pic from back a few steps. Unless it is valved off, or the connection plugged, it should read the same pressure as in the piping it is connected to.

Those pancake tanks are $$ If you have room get a common #30 type tank. Extrol, Zilmet, Wessel, B&G, etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Wmenheere
    hot_rod said:
    is there a shutoff valve on that tank? Take a pic from back a few steps. Unless it is valved off, or the connection plugged, it should read the same pressure as in the piping it is connected to. Those pancake tanks are $$ If you have room get a common #30 type tank. Extrol, Zilmet, Wessel, B&G, etc.
    No shut off.  

• hot_rod
    If you do decide to replace the tank, requiring a drain down, considering adding this valve for future service. Mount a new tank below the module 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Wmenheere
    hot_rod said:

If you do decide to replace the tank, requiring a drain down, considering adding this valve for future service. Mount a new tank below the module 

Thank you Bob. I assume I can replace this cleanout (circled in yellow) with the valve you mention?
    For the expansion tank, is a hydronic tank specifically required, or does a thermal expansion tank work as well (i.e. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/eastman-thermal-expansion-tank/1000850984?eid=PS_GOOGLE_D00 - E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_All Products_All Products__PRODUCT_GROUP_aud-765569715481:pla-300587868876&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUyVQfjwsSJ53DhXZrmtkecLDHRGunXwfnUA_k_g7ry3gudrmiWeGyAaAnoyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) ?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge!!
  • hot_rod
    I would use a #30, price seems pretty high at that source?
    Ir you have a Pex crimp tool you need a male and female Pex adapter

The push type fittings like Shark Bite are listed for hydronic temperature for a DIY install

You will need to purge the system after you drain to do the switch
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Wmenheere
    I'm up in Canada....our pricing isn't as favourable as in the US haha.
    Is there a specific process I should follow for the purge?
  • hot_rod
    Do you have the manual for that WarmRite module. Probably a purge point on that somewhere.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA