Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton radiator vents

We buy tons of Gorton vents. Recently it seems like a lot of them won’t close brand new out of the package. They just leak steam through the whole cycle.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Look at where maid

I believe they are made in china

additionally I think all three are the same company

Maid O mist and Jacobus

Jake
    ordellrobbieWaherMad Dog_2
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2023
    They are not the same company.

Despite similar shell shapes: their internal floats, method of sealing the shell, bimetallic strip design, and the vent orifice design are different.

Maid O'Mist/Jacobus is a US company that makes their products in China.
    Gorton is a US company that makes their products in the USA. (big factor in .Gov contracting)

Gorton recently had a few bad batches allegedly because the supplier of their bimetallic strips mistakenly reversed which side of the strip had what metal screwing up the thermal expansion action of the vents. Why this wasn't caught during Gorton's quality control sessions with live steam tests is unknown.
    Long Beach EdMad Dog_2Hap_Hazzard
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    edited January 2023
    I have looked for evidence that Gorton is made in the US and haven't had any success. What is your source for that? Neither the packaging, nor the vents say "Made in USA"

Why this wasn't caught during Gorton's quality control sessions with live steam tests is unknown.

I have a theory LOL
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Mad Dog_2ChrisJ
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 232
    I just installed a couple of Gorton #2s... I didn't hear anything but will go back this evening and check.  Thanks for the heads up.
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    edited January 2023
    We got conformation from Gorton that their vents are made in USA. We were required to furnish it for our DOD government contracts.

Could they have changed? You can always call them in New Jersey, but an imported product would have to be marked. No requirement for a domestic one.

Here's my 17 year old reply to a similar thread posted here in 2006 as the Chinese sellout of our country was beginning:

You will find...

And yes, the Gorton valves have a beautifully machined brass float in them and are soldered together. The Gorton's temperature sensor is made by Texas Instrument.

Maid-O'-Mist uses a plastic float and the case is crimped together.

They both share patents and are of similar design.

Long Beach Ed
    Mad Dog_2
  • ethicalpaul
    I thought an imported one had to be marked as well, but MoM isn't marked either.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    edited January 2023
    I believe Gorton is still made in good old  Cranford NJ.  We should ask Ken Kunz..Steamhead knows him.  Listen, China intentionally renamed a Town "USA" just so they could fictitiously and deceptively label their products "MADE IN USA."   Bottom line on vent quality...any professional who does this for a living, that knows what they are doing,  and Does NOT want callbacks,  is going to use Hoffman and Gorton. It is Nolo Contendre (Latin for No Contest!)  Mad Dog. 
  • Long Beach Ed
    edited January 2023
    Spoke with him at 7 AM this morning. Gorton valves are still made in Cranford, NJ.

How's that for customer service?
    WaherguzzinerdCLamb
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    edited January 2023
    Mad Dog_2 said:

I believe Gorton is still made in good old  Cranford NJ.  We should ask Ken Kunz..Steamhead knows him.  Listen, China intentionally renamed a Town "USA" just so they could fictitiously and deceptively label their products "MADE IN USA."   Bottom line on vent quality...any professional who does this for a living, that knows what they are doing,  and Does NOT want callbacks,  is going to use Hoffman and Gorton. It is Nolo Contendre (Latin for No Contest!)  Mad Dog. 

Usa is part of Japan and trust me the last thing Japan wants to put is "Made in USA" on any of their products. It also was not named Usa for that reason even way back when not to mention it's rural and doesn't do any manufacturing..
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    CLamb
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2023

Spoke with him at 7 AM this morning. Gorton valves are still made in Cranford, NJ.

How's that for customer service?

That's good to know.
    Did he have any insight as to why all of the complaints recently? Are people returning old defective ones to certain suppliers and they're being shipped out as new?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Long Beach Ed
    edited January 2023
    Did he have any insight as to why all of the complaints recently?
    I didn't ask. I've installed probably a thousand of them and never had a problem with any. They do have date codes on them though and if there was a problem it would be interesting to know which ones failed.
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2023
    Do you guys know which valve in particular had the reported problem?
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
  • ChrisJ

I have looked for evidence that Gorton is made in the US and haven't had any success. What is your source for that? Neither the packaging, nor the vents say "Made in USA"

Why this wasn't caught during Gorton's quality control sessions with live steam tests is unknown.

I have a theory LOL
    You mean you have a hypothesis..
    Paul which vent did you get that was broke?
  • ethicalpaul
    That was a Gorton #1 but it was damaged in handling and was replaced by Supplyhouse. I autopsied it and Gorton has no blame for that one in my mind. Someone threw it against the floor or a wall or something.
    guzzinerd
  • dopey27177
    The only thing that Gorton has stamped on the body is the u.s. parent numbers.
    Could not find a factory in the U.S.A. Only an office on Bew Jersyo.

jJake
    ethicalpaul
  • dopey27177
    Type Os

New Jersey 
    Jake

guzzinerd
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    edited January 2023
    ChrisJ said:

Usa is part of Japan and trust me the last thing Japan wants to put is "Made in USA" on any of their products. 
      edit: argh!
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • ethicalpaul
    reggi
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • ordellrobbie
    ordellrobbie Member Posts: 14
    I am still having problems with these vents. When I called Gorton they said there hasn’t been any problems. I have three in one house that were installed a month ago. They never close. I replaced all three with vent rite number 1 which I don’t prefer but they work fine. The open and close like they’re supposed to. I buy the Gortons in bulk. I must have gotten a bad batch I guess. 
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 245
    Did they make a rattling noise before you installed them? Shipping bumps can be hard on Gorton vents and cause the internal floats to come off the bi-metallic strips either jamming the vents closed or open.

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/190384/gorton-air-vent-quality#latest
    I recently had to send multiple Gorton No.2 vents back to the distributor repeatedly until I received working vents.