Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

town of islip plumbing exam

Options
Spp116
Spp116 Member Posts: 1
has anybody on here taken the plumbing exam in islip recently , what can i expect . thank you .

Comments

• mattyc
    mattyc Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Took Suffolk county and town of Babylon.  Babylon was open book test. 50 questions multiple choice. Have your code book labeled with sticky notes and highlighted sections Bc it’s all about knowing where to look for your answers in the book…and time went fast!  There was a schematic drawing and also had to thread 2” gas pipe by hand…essentially you make a square…3 90’s and a 2x3/4x2” tee for a pressure gauge. Also soldering 2” copper.  I would imagine islip is similar to babylons test. 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,926
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I never took their Master Plumber test in Islip because I believe they still reciprocate with Nassau Township LMPs.  I've filed permits in Huntington, East Hampton, South Hampton and Babylon if I recall correctly, but I did take the plumbing inspector exam about 12 years ago which I think all the Suffolk towns use and it was not open book.  It wasn't easy and had alot of business and managerial questions on it which If its anything like other municipalities throughout the state, it will have many of the same questions as the Master Plumbers written exam. At that time I was taking multiple exams over say a 5 year period as I was looking to transition out of everyday contracting in my own business capacity and TO going to work for a Town or City Gov't.  I studied both NYC and NYS code simultaneously and took licensed Master Plumber, Journeyman, Plumbing Inspector I, II and III exams,  as it were.  Also, just for practice mostly Plumbers Helper, Plumbing Supervisor, Steamfitter Steamfitters Helper, Oiler.  None were open book.  The most difficult exam of all was Westchester County which I took 4 years ago.  It WAS open book, which everyone assumes is easy...nah son!!! Ha ha.  It was brutal, picayune, fast paced, nerve wracking but at the same time exhilarating and FAIR.....I think they gave me 3 or 4 hours, but I needed every second, going down to the wire. The questions were in depth, multi-layered and intententionally all over the code book. I frantically  flipped pages, picking out answers.   What's cool is that it was on computer and you got your 'unofficial" score instantly at the end.  I used to hate waiting 4 to 6 months for THAT letter to come.  I knew it was a great battle but that I passed. I hit the final button and got the lowest score I ever got since my first trade exam in 1986:  an 82%!!!!!!. NOT happy...I usually score in the mid to high 90s.  .To my utter dismay,  the proctor congratulates me and asks how I studied and if I took any Prep courses?  I did, I told him, starting with all the different New York City Plumbing Legend, Manny Troise's courses and of course the basis of all my initial knowledge, the rigorous United Associations Plumbers Local #2 (Local 2, and Local 371 Staten Island merged with local 1 in the 1990s)  four-Year Apprenticeship certificate program. He assured me it was a great Mark and one one the highest in many years.  I am very proud of it till this day.  Whats nice too, is Westchester is a Countywide License which Nassau and Suffolk plumbers have lobbied to establish for many many years to no avail.  Town of Hempstead I understand is similar-  being very hard AND open book, but also very fair.  Good luck buddy and I if I  can help in anyway, let me know.  I've 'played in the Nassau, Suffolk, NYC Plumbing and heating 'sandbox" for coming up on 40yrs.  Mad 🐕 Dog

ethicalpaul
  • mike19dc
    mike19dc Member Posts: 3
    Options
    @mattyc

i am taking my Babylon plumbing test in a week, I see you mentioned isometrics drawings, is that on the first test (multiple choice one) or is that a complete separate test. I could use any help I could get. Thank you in advance 
    Mad Dog_2
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    It's too bad NY never instituted a state-wide exam. Washington state has 2 licenses available...a residential or a Journeyman (Master). The test is given every 90 days and there are study courses to assist in preparation. The license must be renewed every 2 years with 16 hrs of continuing ed. It's based on the UMC and is very fair. There is no practical exam. The license is good state wide, and reciprocal in Idaho, Oregon and Alaska.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    NJ, Connecticut and Vermont all have.  My County, Nassau,  has 64 Villages and three Large Townships.  Many require their own licenses...its brutal to run a business here..so, we can't even get a Countywide License here...forget a Statewide one...PHCC has tried...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Westchester County did it successfully.  I have the Westchester County License.  Of all the several dozen Master plumber, Steamfitter, Boiler & Plumbing inspector Licenses, exams &  Certs I have, and a dozen Difficult Civil Service exams I have taken, Westchester County was the most difficult - yet fair - It was all open book but I still needed all 4 hours to complete.  They were very straightforward, no Politics and great to deal with.  To me, Westchester County is a paradigm to emulate for Plumbing Licensing and Permit process.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,953
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

NJ, Connecticut and Vermont all have.  My County, Nassau,  has 64 Villages and three Large Townships.  Many require their own licenses...its brutal to run a business here..so, we can't even get a Countywide License here...forget a Statewide one...PHCC has tried...Mad Dog 🐕 

Hey there @Mad Dog_2 !!! Wow. Am I reading that correctly? New Jersey, Vermont, and Connecticut have reciprocating licensure?
    Mad Dog_2
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 489
    edited September 2023
    Options
    It's too bad NY never instituted a state-wide exam. Washington state has 2 licenses available...a residential or a Journeyman (Master). The test is given every 90 days and there are study courses to assist in preparation. The license must be renewed every 2 years with 16 hrs of continuing ed. It's based on the UMC and is very fair. There is no practical exam. The license is good state wide, and reciprocal in Idaho, Oregon and Alaska.
           Licensure, reciprocity, & regional codes all defy common sense here in the northeast. I'm fairly certain that water & sewage abide by the same rules of physics no matter the state, region, or county on this side of the equator.
          I don't understand why New England and its bordering states can't all adopt & enforce the IRC & IPC, and, adopt reciprocity for residential work?

Mad Dog_2CLambIntplm.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited September 2023
    Options
    You realize, don't you, that those demanding those quizzes never take a quiz or continuing education on the Constitution or any other lawful necessity. I'm for Guilds. You realize, don't you, that Licensure was started in this country to keep the Irish and Negros out of the trades. Sorry, but true. Thanks Boston. We're so enlightened.

Mad Dog_2Robert O'BrienethicalpaulCLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited September 2023
    Options
    No, they are not reciprocal that I know of.  I meant NJ, Connecticut & VT had STATE licenses.  I've been collecting new Master Plumbing licenses over the past few years as the heating consulting takes me further in to surrounding States as well.  Even in NYS , each large City has its own licenses and fees & then so do most counties.  A few easily reciprocate with ANY LMP in ANY municipality in the State. Most do not..new exam, and a practical exam in some cases are required..all have fees...it adds up.  

I really enjoy staying up on the codes and studying and taking new exams. NY is an adventure for sure..I am helping out the young lad with study materials and drawings.  Very nice kid and a rarity today...A young man going for a Plumbing license.  Mad Dog 

HomerJSmithCLambIntplm.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    They didn't keep THIS Irishman out!  Wait till they meet my mixed  friends at the Plumbers BBQ ha ha 😂 😋 🤪 🤣 . Mad Dog 🐕 
    HomerJSmithIntplm.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Dog is that an Irish name? hmmm
    Always give back. It's Godly! That is what this site is for, think 'hotrod', he gives freely of his time and knowledge. Kudos to all you wonderful people.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I'm Irish-German extraction but American first and foremost.  They nicknamed me "The Social Worker" in HS.  I got a bunch of the fat, skinny and weak  kids who got picked on and bullied and trained them in my mom's garage in self defense, fighting, weight training and most important to fight bullies..a sharp tongue and big mouth 😄.  

The school paper did a nice article on that.  Those "Geeks" and 'nerds." Are still in touch.
    Same with plumbing and heating...I love to teach it to anyone who will listen, especially the small fry coming up.  I'm a firm believer in passing down what I was taught and told, then what I have learned to guide them in the right direction and what pitfalls to avoid.  I not only enjoy it, its my Duty to The Trade.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    GGrossCLamb