Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco's VT2218 Delta T circulator

Options
Dave H_2
Dave H_2 Member Posts: 555
OK everyone,
There has been a lot of work going on at Taco and places like this help find and get the word out. This is a followup to @Franktg78 post a little while ago.

Here is what happened with the VT2218 circulator production.
There was a display issue, not a performance issue. There is a circuit board internally between the display and the controller of the circ, basically the controller for the display.

After some exhaustive digging around, some sleuthing, testing and more testing this is what we found.

This control board did not have its software correctly installed so therefore it will not tell you the current watt draw, nor will it tell you the GPM. The circ will read "07 WATTS 00 GPM" whether it is running in Delta T mode, fixed speed mode, any mode or setting you choose. However, it will still operate in whatever mode you have it programmed. The buttons still operate as intended.

So, what is affected out there? If you have a date code that shows between 0422 and 0423, the display may be compromised. The date code represents a month and year; we predate these circs by 4 months to allow for the circulators warranty based upon the time it take to leave Taco, go to our reps warehouse, get to the wholesaler and then to the jobsite. So that means that these circs were built between December 2021 and December 2022.

If your circulator falls within the date code above, is installed and the display is working properly, there is nothing you need to do. It will not fail later. This is a right out of the box situation

What do you do about it if you have one that has the incorrect display? Contact your wholesaler and your local Taco Rep. They will help you out. This is a high priority for us here at Taco so getting replacements back out is important. We are working with supply chain to get new circuit boards and chips (these things are in such high demand; every business sector has a rough time getting them). There is no in the field fix or programming that can be done. If you have one that has not been used or installed, still contact your distributor and local Taco rep.
Any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Dave H
Dave H
heatheadmattycEdTheHeaterManErin Holohan HaskellSTEVEusaPAronbburdAlan (California Radiant) Forbesdelta T

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Nice to see a company stand behind there product. Thank you!
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,922
    Options
    Nobody stands behind their gear like Taco.  Any issues, no questions asked. The Taco People i.e., The White Family, Dave Holdorf, John Barba and the rest show their client contractors great love and respect!   Thanks again for helping me out the other day Dave!   Mad Dog 🐕. 
    STEVEusaPAncalhvacAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • jwilliamadams
    jwilliamadams Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hi Dave H. I just need clarification. In your post above (thank you for acknowledging the defect) you say that other than the display, all should be functioning. That's not the case with me or sounds like, @Franktg78 . Not only does the display not work as you stated, but it stays on one speed. The Delta-T does not modulate at all. I can't even get the speed to change in Constant Speed mode. Can you please clarify that the electronics are bad entirely and not controlling the motor correctly? I'm on my second with this issue. Thanks
    ncalhvac
  • ncalhvac
    ncalhvac Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Dave, Sorry to disagree, but I'm observing the same malfunctions as jwilliamadams and franktg78 with both the display and performance. I observe a single speed circulator with an accurate dual temperature display regardless of program. I hope that you are able to share more details now on what Taco is doing about this.
    Retired and working on restoring an 1888 Victorian with heating upgrades
    Rich_49
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 705
    Options
    ncalhvac
    I suggest you contact Taco tech support at 401-942-8000 for any questions. I’m confident they’ll be able to help you. 
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Mad Dog_2ncalhvac
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 234
    Options
    @ncalhvac Like Joe M suggested please give us a call and
    please ask for me in Technical Services when you call. I will make sure you receive a new VT2218. Please have the date code handy when you call. I am there 8am-4:30pm EST. Thanks, Steve
    ncalhvacMad Dog_2
  • ncalhvac
    Options
    SteveSan and JoeM, I used the Taco Customer Response System at tacocomfort.com and replacement has been shipped after providing details. Taco does respond on this issue. Thanks to Mario DelSignore for helping me with this.
    SteveSanMad Dog_2
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Glad we could help and I did let Mario D know what you wrote here.
    Mad Dog_2
  • ncalhvac
    Options
    Taco did not request a return of the old vt2218 when they sent a new one. So, being curious, I disassembled and reassembled it to see how it's made. I took pictures to share. It's a lot like other ecm motors, but this has separate display and control boards (not potted, assembled in Mexico). The boards and stator connect with fixed pins, just the display is on a ribbon cable, which was a bit awkward in reassembly. I have it working back in it's defective state. I don't like waste and might be useful as a single speed circulator on a relay, so I'll just keep it in case that need arises at home, then I would get more measurements on performance. Meanwhile the  warranty replacement is going in now 
    PC7060Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,922
    Options
    Taco always stands by their products & Installers...Mad Dog 🐕 
    SteveSan