Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello Oil Burner Ignition

FredoSP
FredoSP Member Posts: 90
edited January 2023 in Oil Heating
Hello Forum,

I've been having this issue on and off for at least a year and I was finally able to record what it sounds like in order to make a post about it.

My oil burner is a Riello 40-F3 and it gets the annual maintenance every year from the oil company along with the boiler.

This is what I believe is happening, please correct me if I'm wrong. A call for heat is made, the oil burner goes through its 5-10 second pre-purge and then ignites. In my situation when it goes to ignite it does not, which causes the draft control to make that noise (as it should). Then a couple of seconds later the oil burner tries to ignite again and it does so successfully. It always ignites after the second try, if not on the first try. This behavior is very random. I tried to take note if it was a windy day, etc. but it's nothing obvious. Ive had the oil company at the house for other issues and I was told they changed the nozzle and reset the electrodes. The problem still existed prior and after the oil burner company coming to the house. And the problem never occurs when the tech is here (just like when you bring your car to the mechanic).

Any ideas?

Edit:
No black smoke and the boiler is not sooted up at all.

Below is a link to a video I was able to take with my phone
Oil_Burner.MOV 27 MB.

Long Island, NY

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I've seen that problem related to some older ignition control modules.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Either it's not set up right, there's a slight vacuum leak, improperly purged and/or the coil that opens the oil valve is bad. All testable. Unfortunately, your video is of no help.
    steve
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    Seen this before, giant PIA to find the problem. I think it has to do with the 5V wire that feeds back from the motor to the control. That control dose not have recycle and it dose not lock out with this issue.

Replacing the control did not work for me. Stuffed my emergency Beckett in it and worriwd about it later.