Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Photo dump of the past two weeks of a busy heating season in NYC/NJ

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes
gyrfalconPC7060mattmia2veteransteamhvacSolid_Fuel_ManMikeAmann

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Nice!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I worked in some tight boiler rooms, but you do it on a daily basis. Nice work
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    Pure eye candy!
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Awesome Antique with the brick sides.

Love this stuff.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    Wow, changing those lower drum gaskets on that old brick set Smith boiler would be a tough job. I guess that they opted for the brick instead of leaving the asbestos covering exposed. Also, shoveling coal into that Smith boiler and tending the fire would also be extremely tough. I am glad to see that there are good contractors that can do the hard jobs. Nice work.
  • JohnNY
    Work hard. Play hard. It’s been a long time. But here, in this part of the world, I get to see a lot of different systems that were in use throughout the decades and it’s fun to watch the progression as technology meets demand.  
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    hot_rodAlan (California Radiant) ForbesMikeAmannRoger
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    You do nice clean work, John. A tribute to NYC Master Plumbers!
    MikeAmann
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    I like the infrared pic of the radiator with the air vent on top. Shows exactly why the air vent for steam goes on the lower tapping.
    JohnNY
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Nice work! As always....
  • JohnNY
    edited December 2022
    ron said:

what FLIR did you use?

I use an i7. It's about 14 years old. Once in a while I think about getting a newer model but the $4,500 price tag tends to scare me off.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    Of course, I noticed the really poor wiring and wonder how half this stuff works and works reliably. But that's why I'm called "The Wire Nut"!
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    edited December 2022
    Neato, Johnny NY.   Mad Dog 🐕 
    JohnNY
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited December 2022
    Johnny, I couldn't zoom in enough.  Is that a Caleffi Air Eliminator for those boilers?  I really like alot of the Caleffi stuff, especially the feeder valves w Guage but do you find them Superior to The King, Spirovents?  I know you've used them too.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    John, who is the older gent holding the bottle of Vino?  Looks very familiar?  Famous?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • JohnNY
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Johnny, I couldn't zoom in enough.  Is that a Caleffi Air Eliminator for those boilers?  I really like alot of the Caleffi stuff, especially the feeder valves w Guage but do you find them Superior to The King, Spirovents?  I know you've used them too.  Mad Dog 🐕 

Yes, Matt, that's a Caleffi vent. I like the whole product line. But that aside, I think a float vent is a float vent.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks, Johnny. I've had great success with Spirovents and will continue to use them, but I do really like the Caleffi boiler feed valves with the knob that so easy to adjust and the pressure gauge built in. Mad Dog
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    @JohnNY skip the FLIR and buy the best mirrorless camera and lens you can find.

I feel the return will be more worth it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JohnNY
    ChrisJ said:

@JohnNY skip the FLIR and buy the best mirrorless camera and lens you can find.

I feel the return will be more worth it.

This is entirely possibly true.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes