Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace Buderus GB142-30 High Efficiency Boiler with NTI #TFT Model?

Hi, we're in Wisconsin and freezing! Have a 10-year old Buderus GB142-30 that has bit the dust right after the warranty expired. Used for heating and hot water. Can't even get the display to turn on so serviceman would be able to see fault code. Have space heaters everywhere. New service person says I can start by replacing expensive parts one by one according to problem areas he has seen with them, but I could spend thousands before he finds the right part and then I'm still stuck with an old boiler that leaks out the proprietary Buderus fitting at the bottom of the boiler (that I've been living with).

He recommends a high efficiency NTI #TFT boiler. Does anyone have experience with this boiler model as a reliable replacement? NTI makes a lot of different models and not sure if there's a better model to get.

Can anyone help with a recommendation or feedback?

Thank you!

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited November 2022
    Sounds like some components burnt out . You need a good tech on sight with a meter , then call Buderus tech support , Good guys up there in NH .(603) 552-1100 .I would recommend fix what is wrong , 10 years too soon to throw it out .It's a work horse of a boiler .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbesresearchittodeath
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I agree with Ed. The guy you’ve got is a parts changer, not a technician.

It may be something simple or something expensive, but you need to what IS wrong before making a decision to replace it. 
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    researchittodeath
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited November 2022
    Check the easy things first:
    1) Does the boiler have power?
    2) Is the fuse good? See item 55 in the diagram. It's a 5 amp, slow blow.

http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/GB142-45-LP-Install.pdf
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    researchittodeath
  • Thank you all...yes I replaced the fuse holder with a new one from Buderus and checked fuse. I'll double check, the new fuse holder #70 I just ordered from Buderus has a much stronger spring that makes it really hard to seat and lock into the controller.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Have you got it resolved? Might have some ideas.
  • Hello Tim, I've about given up...borrowed a used UBA 3 with new fuse, got it to actually light up the display, got the following error message.

Started out at "EL", then started flashing "EL", then pushed service button and got "2 14", then "P 16", then "3L", then after a few minutes went dark again (blew fuse?). I'm about to bit the bullet and have a new NTI TFTN boiler put in...don't want to stick thousands into a 10 year old Buderus...

I sure appreciate your thoughts; thanks much! Steve
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Probably a better Idea to swap it out. MD