Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One of the radiator not getting hot enough...

MaxGNaidu
MaxGNaidu Member Posts: 15
edited November 2022 in Strictly Steam
Hi all,

So I seem to have a strange issue, one of the radiator in a room is not getting hot enough. All the other ones are at a constant 70 but this one is behind at 66. It usually gets colder in the early hour too..I tried changing the vent from a 4 size to C size but the issue still persists. Why do you think it's not getting hot enough like the other radiators ? I checked the Pitch and the radiator is higher on the vent side and lower of the valve side. So that's not an issue I guess. What else can be the problem ?  And also I noticed the whole house drops 5 degrees in the early hours. Why is that so?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Water trapped somewhere it shouldn't be, lack of main venting, boiler undefired or leaking above the water line. lots of possible causes. if it isn't keeping up when it gets colder, the boiler being underfired or leaking is a stronger possibility. if the boiler has a millivolt vale, the pilot generator wearing out and not reliably opening the main valve is another possibility.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    Is it the furthest from the boiler? Have you checked the supply valve is actually fully open?
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 538
    You will have to provide more detail about your system to get much meaningful advise. You have two questions really, one being the heat in one room lagging the rest of the house and the other being why the house does not maintain temperature throughout the night. First, are both of these "new" issues or has it always been this way, or did you just move into the house and don't know? If new, can you think of anything that you might have changed, i.e. thermostat etc...?

Maybe start by describing your system and providing some pictures.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    You have a lot to unpack there. Why does your whole house get cold sometimes? I would separate off that question.

You are saying the radiator isn't getting hot enough, but you put it in terms of the room being cold. Separate those two things for a minute. Tell us if steam is reaching your radiator, and when it is reaching it compared to your other radiators. Gingerly touch the pipe where it enters the radiator to determine when the steam gets there.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • MaxGNaidu
    MaxGNaidu Member Posts: 15
    makes sense, I though of that too that I have 2 different questions, I am doing some testing around and setup a whole bunch of thermostats around the house to records the temps by room. I will respond with DATA when I have the chance. :)