Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No flame, at a loss

Options
Ryan7754
Ryan7754 Member Posts: 3
I have a Goodman natural gas furnace
AMS81005CXAC. Over the summer the AC went out, bad board no power going to blower motor. Ordered one, DIY swap, cold air works. Didn’t check furnace after board swap (amateur). Told myself I would check it after the house got below satan’s armpit levels. 

Forgot and life moved on for about 2.5 months when we tried to turn the heat on. 

induction motor turns and igniter glows red hot. There isn’t 24v going to the gas valve to kick it open. Interesting thing is when I test on wires unhooked I’m seeing about 2v, back stabbing on wires while hooked to gas valve seeing sub 1v. 

Thought I got a bad board, ordered and swapped again, same result. Board ordered both times was a Goodman Amana Emerson Furnace Control Circuit Board 50M56-281-02 50M56-291 
Roll out switch’s both test as having continuity 
Any suggestions?

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Is the thermostat switched to heating mode? Gas valve or supply turned on?
    when I test on wires unhooked I’m seeing about 2v, back stabbing on wires while hooked to gas valve seeing sub 1v
    Please explain what you mean.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    How many flashes on the control board? Check the auxiliary limit for continuity.
    Ryan7754
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    2 volts relative to what? Each other? Check everything in the safety and limit controls -- you are not getting power to the gas valve.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Gas valve on/off switch in on position? Check this service manual https://hvacdirect.com/hvac/pdf/GDS8-Service.pdf

• Ryan7754
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Thermostat is turned to heat 

Board goes to single flash after 3 attempts to fire. 

Gas valve is turned on

checked six high limit and it has continuity. Paper work states it should normally be closed so good there.

2 volts measured at gas valve on the brown wire hitting the gas valve. Measures at 2 volts when unhooked from gas valve and both wires going direct to volt meter (gas and gas common wire’s) If wires to trigger valve are hooked up to valve and I back stab them it’s a sub voltage reading

Really stuck on this one. Know I’m not getting voltage but it appears all safety devices are reporting correctly but still no power going to valve. 

• Ryan7754
    edited November 2022
    Options
    GOT IT FIXED!! just wanted to update incase someone in the future runs into something similar. It was the auxiliary limit. I checked it for continuity and it was good, once voltage was applied it wouldn't pass it though.
    Many thanks to everyone that assisted, now to call the HVAC company I paid to come out here and tell me it was the board.

Also anyone know what temp range Aux limit I need to use?
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,385
    Options
    Hello @Ryan7754,

None labeled "Auxiliary" in this parts document but maybe you can find the temperature you want (some listed) or just the factory part number for replacement.

https://hvacdirect.com/hvac/pdf/GDS8-Parts.pdf

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Where is the auxiliary limit located, in the blower compartment? 
    I don't think I've ever come across a N.C. limit that mysteriously opened once voltage was applied. 
    The ratings of the limit should be written right on it. Small lettering but it's there.