Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tigerloop

I installed new tank with overhead line and tigerloop. System starts fine after bleeding, runs for 12-16 hours and slowly runs out of fuel. Tank is full, filter and all components are new. No signs of leaks or air bubbles in the tiger loop. Line is 35' long, rises 6' at the tank, and drops 7' at the boiler. it has done this 3 times.

Comments

• Jon_blaney
    Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
    Did you install the oil pump by-pass plug?
  • Egreenbuilt
    Egreenbuilt Member Posts: 2
    Hey Jon, no I did not, just did a quick google search, says its a 1/16" NPT plug that go's in the 1/4" return port. Is that correct?

Thanks
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    They saying running without the bypass plug installed can wreck the pump seals.
    You might be looking at buying a pump soon (or now).
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Only get the OEM bypass plug for that Beckett/Suntec A pump.
    What make and model burner is that? What's the pump pressure.
    Is that Clean Cut pump OEM to the burner? What primary is being used?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725

Hey Jon, no I did not, just did a quick google search, says its a 1/16" NPT plug that go's in the 1/4" return port. Is that correct?

Thanks

Yes, That is correct. The Suntec plug is installed with an allen wrench. Any 1/16 plug will do the job as long as you can screw it in. The allen wrench type makes it easy.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Adk1guy
    Adk1guy Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2022
    Running the pump WITH the bypass plug installed can ruin a pump unless you have a return ie, a 2 pipe system. It's also why I never liked valves on the return. Start the pump with the valve closed and instant shaft seal blown, except riello pumps have such a good seal it will stall the motor and not rupture the seal. Running the pump without a bypass plug does no harm, on a two pipe system won't hurt the pump but it is likely to become air bound. With a tigerloop you do need the bypass plug installed.
  • Jon_blaney
    Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
    When I added my tiger loop, i needed the plug and could no find one. I finally went to one of the local supply houses and hung around the counter. I got a plug from a heating guy. It was left over from some job and it was rolling around in his truck.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725

They saying running without the bypass plug installed can wreck the pump seals.
    You might be looking at buying a pump soon (or now).

You got that backwards. Running a 2 pipe system with no bypass plug is not going to blow a pump seal. It just will not be self priming.

Running a single pipe from the oil tank with a bypass plug installed will cause a pump seal to fail, because there is no place for the unused oil from the gear set to go if the bypass is plugged and the return port is also plugged. Hydraulic pressure can be very strong and something has got to give. The pump seal is the weakest link
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586

You got that backwards. Running a 2 pipe system with no bypass plug is not going to blow a pump seal. It just will not be self priming.

Doh! I knew it was something caused something. :)
    Apologies to the OP if I caused a moment of panic.

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.