Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LG ducted heat pump LG LUU420HHV / thermostat options

I had a ducted LG heat pump installed this summer. The system works fine. The thermostat however is extremely limited - no wifi, no efficiency stats, no "off" setting. I'm pretty tech savvy but I tried connecting a ThinQ modem and eventually gave up.
I know it's a long shot but are there any thermostat options?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    The Model number you posted indicates that this is a system with a proprietary thermostat that communicates. (not the standard R, C, W, Y, G) But since you are using the ducted air handler there may be other options. Can you post a picture of the thermostat?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pg2022
    pg2022 Member Posts: 4
    Ed,
    Picture attached. Yeah, the thermostat is proprietary as you say. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
    Paul
  • pg2022
    The previous attachment may not work.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    Looking at the wiring diagram for this thermostat, you have no other option but to use the proprietary LG communicating controller. This is clearly a 12 VDC communicating control. it is not the 24 VAC standard control that uses the common HVAC designation of R, W, Y, G, C.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pg2022
    Ed,
    Got it, many thanks for the explanation.
    Paul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    Looks like a bacnet controller could talk to it.
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,041
    edited November 2022
    There are a couple of indoor units that match to the outdoor unit you posted. Depending on which indoor unit you have it should have built in ThinQ , you do not need to set up any proprietary modem or whatever. Also all the ducted models have an option for a dry contact (standard thermostat) option, however depending on which model you have you may need to purchase that dry contact kit as an accessory

I would add that the 'out of the box" wired controller is better suited for these units than a standard thermostat