Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LG ducted heat pump LG LUU420HHV / thermostat options

Options
I had a ducted LG heat pump installed this summer. The system works fine. The thermostat however is extremely limited - no wifi, no efficiency stats, no "off" setting. I'm pretty tech savvy but I tried connecting a ThinQ modem and eventually gave up.
I know it's a long shot but are there any thermostat options?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    The Model number you posted indicates that this is a system with a proprietary thermostat that communicates. (not the standard R, C, W, Y, G) But since you are using the ducted air handler there may be other options. Can you post a picture of the thermostat?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• pg2022
    pg2022 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Ed,
    Picture attached. Yeah, the thermostat is proprietary as you say. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
    Paul
  • pg2022
    Options
    The previous attachment may not work.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    Looking at the wiring diagram for this thermostat, you have no other option but to use the proprietary LG communicating controller. This is clearly a 12 VDC communicating control. it is not the 24 VAC standard control that uses the common HVAC designation of R, W, Y, G, C.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• pg2022
    Options
    Ed,
    Got it, many thanks for the explanation.
    Paul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    Looks like a bacnet controller could talk to it.
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    edited November 2022
    Options
    There are a couple of indoor units that match to the outdoor unit you posted. Depending on which indoor unit you have it should have built in ThinQ , you do not need to set up any proprietary modem or whatever. Also all the ducted models have an option for a dry contact (standard thermostat) option, however depending on which model you have you may need to purchase that dry contact kit as an accessory

I would add that the 'out of the box" wired controller is better suited for these units than a standard thermostat