Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing Radiator

Options
Davidho
Davidho Member Posts: 30
Read through different posts and seems it all depends on type of system.  I have two pipe steam boiler.  We are getting one of our bathrooms remodeled.  Home was built in 1910.  Getting drywall installed and than either redoing original tile or getting new.  I am wanting to remove the radiator so the contractors can do their thing.  I have done all my maintenance and replaced some main piping on my boiler system, but have never had to actually removed a radiator yet.  This remodel will happen in December or January it looks like.  Will I be okay removing this radiator and capping the pipes to keep rest of the house warm?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Yes -- but capping the pipes is somewhat easier said than done. Your best bet is to close the valve on the inlet -- they sometimes hold well enough -- and if the system is working as it should you can leave the return fitting open. Of course, if there is a bad trap somewhere else you'll get steam out of the return -- but the solution to that is to fix the bad trap!

Edit: stick something -- a rag or something -- in both open ends so as the people doing the sheetrock can't damage the union faces or get something into the pipes.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Davidho
    Davidho Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you for the information.