Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air to water HP

Anyone installing air to water HP units.
What brand air to water HP units are you installing?
Any issues with this type of system?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Are you speaking about a water heater for domestic hot water? There are a few of the regulars on here that think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Are you talking about space heating? I'm not sure that there is anything that will make hot enough water for anything but a small radiant floor heating system.

I wonder what was the greatest thing before sliced bread?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    @EdTheHeaterMan "I wonder what was the greatest thing before sliced bread?" Bread.
    bhiggins
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356

Are you speaking about a water heater for domestic hot water? There are a few of the regulars on here that think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Are you talking about space heating? I'm not sure that there is anything that will make hot enough water for anything but a small radiant floor heating system.

The wheel.
    pecmsgEdTheHeaterMan
  • kcopp
    I have yet to do one. I had a customer who was interested but when I started doing the numbers they backed away.
    I was looking at SpacePak.
    Numbers were just ok. The output was on the lower side.
    Slab radiant is really the best option.

• JakeCK
    edited October 2022
    kcopp said:

I have yet to do one. I had a customer who was interested but when I started doing the numbers they backed away.
    I was looking at SpacePak.
    Numbers were just ok. The output was on the lower side.
    Slab radiant is really the best option.

What were the numbers looking like?
  • kcopp
    A single condenser was toping out at around 38K btu.
    The house had a larger heat load.
    I would have needed to either add another or a back up boiler.
    Thats where the cost up front didn't appeal to the customer.
    They opted to just do a single condensing boiler.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    120F or below seems to be the comfort range, even at extreme temperatures 

I saw this start up on LinkedIn , out in the Tahoe area.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JakeCK
    hot_rod said:

120F or below seems to be the comfort range, even at extreme temperatures 

I saw this start up on LinkedIn , out in the Tahoe area.

Thats how big the spacepak condensers are? wow o.o
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    JakeCK said:

The wheel.
    https://youtu.be/b5VsYT5vbWE?t=4
    MikeAmann
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,249
    Someday I will build a two bay shop. Just big enough to fit two CCLB pickup trucks. One lift. Heated and cooled. No storage of lawn mowers or other junk. Spare no expense insulation. A2WHP. Backup cast iron fossil fuel boiler. No glycol. Just decided on the location this morning.
    I DIY.
  • bhiggins
    bhiggins Member Posts: 7
    Chiltrix CX-34
    Air to water heat pump and DHW. While it works ok, if you are professional, you would want to stay away from this brand. Too many issues.
    https://www.chiltrix.com/documents/
  • rhl
    rhl Member Posts: 100
    Hi, the spacepak system in that tahoe link -- the SIS-060A is a 5-ton split system. So (while not at design), it outputs up to 60K btu.

For my house (55K btu, 120F design supply water temp) the balance point is about 15F. The design outdoor temp is 12F.

The reality is even if the balance point (point where heat pump output = house load), is 20F you still offset like 90% of the needed heat.

The nice thing is you can slot in an existing HW boiler as a backup.

I havent installed yet -- but thats more due to labor issues than anything else.
  • fentonc
    fentonc Member Posts: 235
    Where are you located? I still can’t find anyone that will install them in westchester, ny.
    hot_rod
  • kaygeemaine
    kaygeemaine Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2022
    We have had a SpacePak Solstice Extreme providing radiant heat for 2200 sf house in Maine. Tight house but many windows. Beautiful even heat for a slab and under wood floor combination for 5 years. But…compressor just failed!! Not sure we can locate the part for a discontinued model. Not sure SpacePak will honor warranty as our qualifying certified installer changed jobs (If installed correctly, why should the warranty follow the tech rather than the homeowner?)

Would highly recommend this lovely and efficient heat (paired with solar) if I knew the company would be there for you. ROI looks crazy (and scary) to me right now. New inverter model may be more solid.
  • JakeCK
    Ouch. Contact spacepak. I think there is even a rep who's been on this site before. Don't know if still active tho.
  • kaygeemaine
    kaygeemaine Member Posts: 3
    Spacepak did help us run tests to diagnose. Our original installer might be able to help. Need a local certified tech in Midcoast Maine. Feels precarious to be an early adopter. The heat is really nice throughout a smallish but sprawling house. Mini splits just would not cut it.