Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring for Taco 501 w/Primary and Secondary pump

Can anyone give guidance on how to wire both primary and secondary pumps, 1/6 HP Grundfos pumps, to a SR501 switching relay. I have a single zone and want both the primary and secondary to turn on at the same time. Do I pig-tail the connections into one entry in the relay? Or will that blow the 6 amp fuse it the switching relay? Any guidance is appreciated

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    What model boiler? That's all i'm gonna ask.

@EdTheHeaterMan Take it away. You have all the beautiful colored diagrams.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • mhausmann
    mhausmann Member Posts: 3
    Eco smart ECO 27. Motion activated.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,229
    Join them at the 120v pump terminals. Unless you experience a locked rotor or something, it'll handle the draw. I've done it many times, though I hate to admit it since there's really no good application for having two pumps tied to each other on separate loops.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    That's not a boiler, by the way. Make sure you get a fire suppression system in that room, there's a good chance you'll need it. The circs you're talking about, likely 26-99s, would only draw 3.6A combined. They'll be fine with the SR501.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    Is this what you were thinking of @pedmec?

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pedmec
    Absolutely. I mean, You just cant get it any clearer than that.

Is that CAD software your using? I hope you don't mind me asking
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    Its a tankless electric water heater. It will need a highead circ no doubt, 26-99 as @GroundUp mentioned, a smaller one probably for the system.

That is probably a 5 amp relay in the 501, just wire them onto the same terminal.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    STEVEusaPA
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    edited October 2022
    pedmec said:

Absolutely. I mean, You just cant get it any clearer than that.

Is that CAD software your using? I hope you don't mind me asking

You are not the first to ask. But I don't have that technical stuff. I used to use a program called PAINTBRUSH when I had a Windows computer. Now with a MAC it is called Paint.

I don't even know how to use PhotoShop.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pedmec
    Well whatever your doing its pretty good. I like it. Better than the hand written messy drawings i slap together