Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Yorker Boiler Boom Noise

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
This discussion was created from comments split from: Taco Zone Valve box noise.

Comments

• rufino
    rufino Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2022
    I just had put in a new furnace in my house New Yorker but every time that goes off it’s a big boom Noise I called the plumber and he’s telling me that It’s pipe hitting pipe never had a problem with the old one I changed it because it had more than 50 years I Think that the noise comes out from ZVC405-4 but he say no can somebody advise me what to do
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    @rufino Going to ask "the boss" to move this to a new thread.
    Need alot more information.
    Model #? Gas/Oil/Propane?
    Odd the installer won't come out.
    Is it a combustion boom?
    Pictures would help.
    steve
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    remove the ice cube relays one at a time until the buzzing goes away. then you should be able to just replace the bad one. you can check the bad one by putting a good one in the spot of the bad one. unless you are having a voltage issue that should solve your issue.
  • rufino
    edited October 2022

• rufino
    edited October 2022
    Sounds like a bang when go off trying to see if I could post the video but I don’t see how to post a video . He came back yesterday and said that it was Pipe Hitting pipe But he changed to zoning Valve And this morning the noise was less
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited October 2022
    I find that most of the pipes, relays and transformers HUMMM because they have forgotten the words. Try putting the sheet music in plain view and see if the humming stops.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    PC7060HomerJSmithkcopp
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276

@rufino Going to ask "the boss" to move this to a new thread.
    Need alot more information.
    Model #? Gas/Oil/Propane?
    Odd the installer won't come out.
    Is it a combustion boom?
    Pictures would help.

Moved it to a new thread here. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    STEVEusaPA
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    When I think of a BOOM, I think of a gas ignition problem. When I think of a BANG, I think of a piping problem. Be more descriptive of the noise and try to isolate where it is coming from.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Unrelated to the noise, that boiler is probably way too close to the flammable wood studs.

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572

Unrelated to the noise, that boiler is probably way too close to the flammable wood studs.

Looks like it requires 1" according to the nameplate in the picture.
  • rufino
    Well it looks like nobody could help me out and this bang keeps me driving me crazy and the plumber doesn’t have no idea either what’s making that bang
  • pedmec
    Make a video and put in on hear so techs can listen. There can be multiple issues that cause banging.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    My thought too. 
  • rufino
    pedmec said:

Make a video and put in on hear so techs can listen. There can be multiple issues that cause banging.

Have one but don’t know how to post it here
  • pedmec
    attachment icon on top of comment box
  • rufino
    I think that I have pinned the bang .Will the Honeywell zone valve make the bang ?

• pedmec
    Yes, any fast acting valve that closes can cause a bang but the honeywell zone valve body has to close against the flow not with the flow. So i think that would kinda rule out a water hammer as the flow would limit a snap acting closure. I thought he changed the zone valve?

Manually open all zone valves and then cycle the boiler by the switch. This leaves the opening and closing of the valves out of the equation but would still allow expansion noise to exist. if it happens with zone valves open then you have to look at expansion.

I think you should look at that Honeywell zvc hanging bracket. It almost looks like pipes are going to be resting on it. When the zone calls the copper expands and pops off the bracket.

• ronbugg
    ronbugg Member Posts: 13
    Are you pumping away from the expansion tank Looks like the circulator and zone valves are on the return side 
  • rufino
    pedmec said:

Yes, any fast acting valve that closes can cause a bang but the honeywell zone valve body has to close against the flow not with the flow. So i think that would kinda rule out a water hammer as the flow would limit a snap acting closure. I thought he changed the zone valve?

Manually open all zone valves and then cycle the boiler by the switch. This leaves the opening and closing of the valves out of the equation but would still allow expansion noise to exist. if it happens with zone valves open then you have to look at expansion.

I think you should look at that Honeywell zvc hanging bracket. It almost looks like pipes are going to be resting on it. When the zone calls the copper expands and pops off the bracket.

Thanks the plumber is coming Monday I will show him the comments this is driving me super crazy because he keeps saying no that this is possible that it’s pipe hitting pipe somewhere loose in the house.

• rufino
    ronbugg said:

Are you pumping away from the expansion tank Looks like the circulator and zone valves are on the return side 

ronbugg said:

Thanks I will show the Comment the plumber when he comes on Monday
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    rufino said:
    Have one but don’t know how to post it here
    You can post it on YouTube and then share the link here. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • I would try to narrow it down. See when it happens. Turn on one zone at a time; wait 5 minutes and then turn it off. Do it on all four zones.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    As mentioned above, seems like the zone valves and the pump are all on the return. There is an arrow on the pump that indicates direction of flow. Check that and post back.
  • rufino

<

I would try to narrow it down. See when it happens. Turn on one zone at a time; wait 5 minutes and then turn it off. Do it on all four zones.

All zone bang Waiting for the plumber to come and check hopefully he shows up
  • rufino

• Can you take a picture of the back of the pump? Put your phone behind the pump and switch view.

• pedmec
    It looks like the circulator is mounted going the wrong way. If you look close at the circulator you can see the molding of the volute. You can see the molding for the flocheck on the circulator discharge. so its pumping into the boiler and zone valves. this is forcing the zone valve closed mostly causing the "bang".
    rufinoAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • rufino

Can you take a picture of the back of the pump? Put your phone behind the pump and switch view.

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    Your circulator is pumping upward.
  • rufino

Thanks text the plumber have an answer me back hopefully he show up
  • rufino
    rufino said:

Thanks text the plumber have an answer me back hopefully he show up
    <Haven’t answered me back
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
    edited October 2022
    If @ScottSecor is right and I think he is, the pump is pumping in the wrong direction. Not only that, it is pumping towards the expansion tank and it should be pumping away from the expansion tank. The sound you hear is from the zone valves slamming shut which happens when water is flowing the wrong direction. The zone valves have an arrow on them that shows the direction of flow.

This is from the installation instructions that shows the pump pumping towards the zone valves. The expansion tank should be located just before the pump, i.e. on the suction side of the pump.
    Have your installer make it right.

rufino
  • rufino

If @ScottSecor is right and I think he is, the pump is pumping in the wrong direction. Not only that, it is pumping towards the expansion tank and it should be pumping away from the expansion tank. The sound you hear is from the zone valves slamming shut which happens when water is flowing the wrong direction. The zone valves have an arrow on them that shows the direction of flow.

This is from the installation instructions that shows the pump pumping towards the zone valves. The expansion tank should be located just before the pump, i.e. on the suction side of the pump.
    Have your installer make it right.

Thank Alan
  • rufino
    To all of yours that are trying to help me thank you very much I just received a text from the plumber that he will not show up today because his birthday was on the weekend and he ate something that got him sick.
  • pedmec
    Yeah, he's sick from eating humble pie because he mess up the installation.
    rufinoAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • rufino

Regret hiring this guy he just text me back and told me that he will not accept nobody’s opinion that he’s been in business for 37 years I wish that I had the money to hire somebody else and fix the problem thanks everybody again for trying to help me out I appreciate it.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
    edited October 2022
    If he's licensed, he's obligated to fix it on his dime.

There are do's and don'ts in hydronic heating. He's done a few don'ts and hopefully, he will learn from them.

He should also insulate all the piping as it will save fuel.

rufino
  • rufino

If he's licensed, he's obligated to fix it on his dime.

There are do's and don'ts in hydronic heating. He's done a few don'ts and hopefully, he will learn from them.

He should also insulate all the piping as it will save fuel.

Thanks for letting me know that yes he do have a license the problem is I don’t want to deal with him anymore because since day one that I told him the problem he should’ve correct it and it’s taken him three weeks to find the problem. he did the job on September 25