Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question on cracks in the liner of the boiler

krp
krp Member Posts: 2
Hi my son has a mobile home and there's cracks in the liner of the boiler. Is this an immediate concern from a safety issue? Should it be replaced asap? See attachment. Thanks in advance, Keith

the furnace model number is msha-086abfo-05

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    I wouldn't say it's a shut it down tonight problem, but it is certainly one which should be attended to on an expedited, if not emergency basis,

Abdin the meantime, make sure he has CO detectors.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited October 2022
    In a mobil home heater?
    What brand and model number? (msha-086abfo-05)
    Where was that picture taken from?
    What is it a picture of?

Just a stab in the dark here... That picture is of the combustion chamber, It is a view thru the very small flame inspection door. The material with the cracks in the enlarged photo is actually a ceramic fiber insulating combustion chamber. Those cracks are normal. There is no safety issue here.
    If I am incorrect and that is a piece of cylindrical metal that the heat exchanger is made of then there is a problem. That heat exchanger is on the way out and should be replaced.

I hope this information has you confused and concerned. Answers to the first 4 questions other three questions will make our job of helping you easier.

I'm betting on my first answer!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited October 2022
    After a closer look at the photo... I believe it is a combustion chamber viewed from the opening where the oil burner is mounted, with the burner removed.

So in my professional opinion, there is nothing wrong with the combustion chamber "liner" as it is pictured.

Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • krp
    krp Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your responses. Yes it's an oil fired furnace chamber in a mobile home looking through the small flame inspection window. So it sounds like I can tell them that this is normal and no concern for worry then? thanks in advance again. Keith