Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Garage in floor w/tankless heater

Hello, I have a tankless (takagi) water heater feeding 6-250’ loops. Wondering what the optimum flow rate (gpm) should be ? Approx 1600sf garage ..

Now I’m getting .6 gpm@120F 

thinking of adding another circulator ? 

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited October 2022
    .6 GPM should be adequate. The only reason to increase it would be if the system is heating unevenly.

I assumed .6 per loop, .6 overall is not good,
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,890
    .6 per loop or .6 total? If the latter, this is bad. Using a tankless WH for this application is bad anyway, but they can be made to work if properly piped- which if you only have one circ, is not. Do you have a photo of the system in question?
  • mikeron1
    mikeron1 Member Posts: 4

• mikeron1
    I think it’s the same .. I’ll have to check again but it says .6 gpm on the electronic gauge on the unit and all 6 flow meters on the manifold read about 1/2 gallon a minute . Originally I had 1 circulator . I added a 3 speed on the feed and moved the single speed to return side which brought it up to 1.2 gpm .. a couple people told me I don’t need 2 circulators so I removed the 1 on return . It is a closed system w/glycol not water .
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I would add the boiler loop w/ its own circ pump... especially where you are running glycol through the system.
    I know that Noritz says thats a No-No for their WH used in a similar set up.
    I would also strongly recommend an air separator in the system.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,890
    If it's flowing .5 GPM per loop times 6 loops, that's 3 GPM through the unit. That would be okay if it were accurate, but it's doubtful. 2 pumps in series are not the same as primary secondary piping. 1 speed vs 3 speed means nothing whatsoever- there are countless sizes of each. What is the model number of the circ currently installed? 0015 maybe? What is the return temperature from the slab when the supply is 120?
  • mikeron1
    Rite now the slab is at 53degrees return .. when I 1st turn it on .. it does have more gpm with the 0015 -3 speed vs the single speed 007 . If I let it run overnight , the return progressively comes up 
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,823
    Rite now the slab is at 53degrees return .. when I 1st turn it on .. it does have more gpm with the 0015 -3 speed vs the single speed 007 . If I let it run overnight , the return progressively comes up

Makes sense. Does it need to be set to 120? Lower should work just as well.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    The installation manual shows a combination systems only not for heating only applications 

And no chemicals
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GGross