Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler to hot water coil conversion Help

garyanderson
garyanderson Member Posts: 15
We have a customer whom has taken the radiators out of her house, not my doing, and now wants us to use this Burnaham steam boiler, mod PIN 6SNI-ME2, so to have us install (2) Hot water coils into (2) existing A/C Ducted systems. (1) unit is on the same level, (2nd) unit is 2 stories up in the attic. I know that these independense Units usually come with (2) tappings , one marked M, the other I have not seen this system yet just trying to get a jump on this as this older lady has no heat in her house, Yeah yeah I get it!! Are the tappings standard or do you have to order with them..

Comments

• Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,823
    Yeah yeah I get it!!
    Ha install the furnaces already! 
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    you certainly could change the boiler to hot water trim and use hydroair coils. Hopefully living life as a stem boiler won't have filled it with sludge in a way that is a problem for hot water. Pressure test it at the new pressure before you start. installing modulating furnaces will undoubtedly be cheaper.
  • garyanderson
    Customer Really want to get away from Natural gas use! Anyway! The current A/C units are only 2 years old, so changing them out is not an option, in their eyes, really wanted to go geo, but way to costly, in this neck of the woods, with all the regs and politics. Just wanting to see if using the current boiler, that is already there, not being used was the best option. I really want to go the option of installing new smaller hot water unit, Will only have to feed 2 small coils, may even try to get them to let me do a boiler that we can do domestic hot water heating in the winter months and revert to electric in the summer.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Customer Really want to get away from Natural gas use! Anyway! The current A/C units are only 2 years old, so changing them out is not an option, in their eyes, really wanted to go geo, but way to costly, in this neck of the woods, with all the regs and politics. Just wanting to see if using the current boiler, that is already there, not being used was the best option. I really want to go the option of installing new smaller hot water unit, Will only have to feed 2 small coils,
     may even try to get them to let me do a boiler that we can do domestic hot water heating in the winter months and revert to electric in the summer.
    Will only have to feed 2 small coils

How many BTU’s?

Are you in the trade?
  • garyanderson
    The combined cant be no more than 25 to 30k per coil.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    The combined cant be no more than 25 to 30k per coil.
    You can guess all you want but there’s only 1 chance to get it right!

120*
    140*
    160*
    180*
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    of course you can. just change the steam controls to hot water controls and change the relief valve. nice easy way of converting to a hot water system until you get a hot water boiler. not the most efficient boiler mind you as that pin6 is really large. your going to short cycle. but its a good temp set up.