Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustion Analyzer

Hey fellas:

I'm currently using a Bacharach 0024 analyzer that does everything I need; CO2, CO, O2 and efficiency. It's about 12 years old and I'd like to have another one in case this one dies and am in the market for one with equal diagnostics.

I've heard good things about the Testo 300, but it's $1,400 without a printer. (Is it really worth it?). I'd like to get something good under a grand. I might just end up with another Bacharach if I can't find one of better quality as it's been fine all these years.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited September 2022
    Alan, price in calibration and sensor replacement costs in your determination.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbeskcopp
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    edited September 2022
    I've been using the Testo 300LL for a few years now and I can't say enough good things about it.  I had a Testo 320 and I always thought it was good enough but the 300LL is so much nicer to use. The long life sensors are definitely worth it in my opinion.  

I see Fieldpiece finally started selling a real combustion analyzer, it might be worth giving a try if you aren't going with the Testo or Bacharach. 
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    For homeowner usage, I like my UEI because it does not use an oxygen sensor that requires replacement.

The C162, with EOS Technology, eliminates the number one hassle experienced by HVAC technicians, the cost and down time of replacing the O2 sensor. The EOS award-winning technology for combustion analysis replaces the everyday electro-optical sensor with EOS CO2 technology, lowering the cost of ownership.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/UEi-Test-Instruments-C161KIT-C161KIT-Flue-Gas-Combustion-Analyzer-w-Printer-Case\

You get everything for less than $seven-fourty with a 6 year warranty if recertified every year.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    EUi is a nice instrument. I could send my kid to college for what it cost me to calibrate it every year.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    What college is that?
    steve
    MaxMercyEdTheHeaterMan
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2022
    I purchased the TPI 610 Combustion Gas Analyzer last year and have found it very easy to use. The unit does not have a display but connects to your smart phone via Bluetooth. 

Very easy to generate and email reports I bought from TruTech tool (link above), the price was $405 before tax. The unit arrived in a couple days with a new calibration cert. The TPI 610 has user replaceable CO2 and CO sensors; the sensor are warrantied for two year. I talked with a TPI tech re calibration and sensor replacement; calibration alone is around $60; calibration with new sensors is approx. $200. He said the sensors are user replaceable but typically people send the entire unit back so it can be recalibrated at same time.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    Might want to look at the new Sauerman analyzer. It has Blue tooth and can read remotely on your phone. Bacharachs may not be available for a few months. Check the Trutech website. They also give NCI referrals an extra discount.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesSTEVEusaPAGGross
  • I see that Amazon has a Testo 300 "Used - Like New" for about $600 less than brand new. Perhaps purchased and then returned soon after.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I've had good luck with buying the out of box, or "like new" cordless tools on Amazon. Often they arrived still in a sealed box that has some damage.
    Can you add the warranty for a few bucks more?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited September 2022
    Can you add the warranty for a few bucks more?
    I'm hoping to get the full warranty included.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    never had any issues with Amazon handling warranty. We been shipping “prime” for 15 years or more
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    I have two testo 320s costing about $250 each per year on maintenance
    We had a backarack Ensign With the O2 sensor program which was great you Could change your own sensors, but that died.
    Looking into something new looking for some advice thanks
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725

What college is that?

The school of hard knocks???
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics