Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ridgid 65-RA (A for "ancient"?)

SteamFTW
SteamFTW Member Posts: 76
Can anyone shed some light on the "RA" version of Ridgid 65-R (receding threader)? I see them at tag sales now and again, and they always look "older than dirt". Of course, that might be only because they're usually old and dirty. Is the "RA" a vintage tool (i.e. restore it and look at it, but don't expect to use it)? It wouldn't surprise me to find out that when Ridge came out with the "RA", they added the "A" to differentiate it from their then current "R" model, which (perhaps?) wasn't "Adjustable".
Fast. Cheap. Good.
Pick any two.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
    SteamFTW said:

Can anyone shed some light on the "RA" version of Ridgid 65-R (receding threader)? I see them at tag sales now and again, and they always look "older than dirt". Of course, that might be only because they're usually old and dirty. Is the "RA" a vintage tool (i.e. restore it and look at it, but don't expect to use it)? It wouldn't surprise me to find out that when Ridge came out with the "RA", they added the "A" to differentiate it from their then current "R" model, which (perhaps?) wasn't "Adjustable".

Just a guess.
    The current one is a 65R-C and there's the 65R-TC which is what I have.
    My guess is there's also a 65R-B and a 65R-A.

I've seen a few 65Rs with no additional letters and they look very very old.
    I seem to recall TC meaning true centering, but who knows if the C alone meant centering.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    One had a "cam Lock" (TC) to lock the threader on the pipe to make it "true centering" on oversized or undersized pipe. The other one had a t handle set screw to lock it to the pipe to allow cutting (drip thread, crazy thread etc) for pitching pipe with the thread.

As far as I know they are all the same family of threaders and use mostly all the same parts. Nowadays they are considered obsolete by many (to heavy to pick up)

Me, I would use one every chance I get especially on 1 1/4 and up
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    i hand threaded around 50 ft of 3/4' and 1" pipe and the tendons around my elbow weren't happy for several weeks.
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

i hand threaded around 50 ft of 3/4' and 1" pipe and the tendons around my elbow weren't happy for several weeks.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SteamFTW
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Yep. From a conversation I just had with a font of wisdom at Ridge, the "A", "C", and "TC" differ in how they hold the pipe, not how they thread the pipe. They all use the same dies, and the older versions were designed in the era of "drip" threads. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when one of the Dead Men did that!

@ChrisJ According to Ridge there is no "B" version. I was with you, thinking they indicated revisions. It turns out there was a "P" version, but I've only seen it mentioned in old instructions, where it's listed as "discontinued". From what I could tell, its only difference was superficial: the top ring was flat like a "plate".

Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    @mattmia2 I'm surprised you never responded to my meme.
    It was only a friendly joke.
  • SteamFTW
    @ChrisJ Isn't this the appropriate response to your meme? "I didn't have a vise. I was holding up the pipe stick in one hand and the 65R in the other."
    Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
  • ChrisJ
    SteamFTW said:
    @ChrisJ Isn't this the appropriate response to your meme? "I didn't have a vise. I was holding up the pipe stick in one hand and the 65R in the other."
    That could work.