Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NYC Permit for Boiler Replacement

Is a permit required in NYC if a homeowner is replacing an existing boiler and water heater in the same location where it is currently?

A Master Plumber recommended it However, it costs $2500 for the permit.

I currently have a hot water boiler and a separate water heater. Am looking to install the Navien combi boiler.

Any insight or resources regarding whether a permit is required?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    As I read the regulations, you are not an in-kind replacement, so I'd say yes you need the permit. Some of the folks who work in New York City may comment.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    seems Pricy! Glad I don't live in NYC
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    You need a permit to replace a gas boiler of any kind in NYC. There are basically two levels of permit: OP-128 and LAA. The "LAA" is the higher level of filing which is for moving or reconfiguring gas piping or in buildings with 6 or more units. That is a simplified explanation but it probably covers your purposes. If your installation does not require significant gas pipe reconfiguration then your OP-128 (Ordinary Plumbing-128) should cost a few hundred bucks. But then again, there are some variables.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes