Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermopride OH5-85 with Beckett AF

PowerLynx
PowerLynx Member Posts: 3
Would anyone have the Thermopride Part # for the "fiber sealing ring", also called an amulet I believe, used to make a seal around the 4" combustion tube where it passes through the 5" port in the combustion chamber?

Comments

• PowerLynx
    edited August 2022
    Can someone share the trick to be able to remove the combustion chamber. The original was obviously split in half sections, but how do you get it out, short of breaking into pieces? My thought is having to turn the entire combustion chamber 90 degrees and somehow lift up one of the half split sections to be able to jockey the sections out the rectangular access port. Some what of a puzzle???
  • PowerLynx
    Does anyone have any experience with the new ceramic fiber molded combustion chambers being now supplied by Thermopride, as far as longevity, or any effects on burner operation or proper combustion. Just wondering since the replacement is no longer firebrick but a ceramic fiber retrofit
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2022
    Please keep all your posts regarding your furnace in one thread. Your service provide could assess if it's worth replacing your chamber and checking your heat exchanger for cracks. If the HX is gone, the chamber repair is worthless. How old is the unit?
    steve
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    I've merged these posts into one thread. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    pecmsg
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited September 2022
    Thermopride heat exchangers have lifetime warranties. Chances are, your Heat exchanger is just fine. But you want to inspect it..

You are correct about the 2 piece chamber. to install and to remove it you must have one half pushed up above and then turn the other piece 90° to remove. but. you will probably destroy it in the process of putting it back in. They are more fragile after they have been fired for several years. You will need to order a replacement

look in this manual on page 6 at the bottom "E Installing the burner" for tips on how to install the insulation between the burner door and the chamber. http://www.thermopride.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/OilFiredFurnace.pdf
    I believe this is the part you need,https://www.fwwebb.com/Thermo-Pride/Chamber-Kit/AOPS7323/673629 but it is only available from Thermo Pride distributers. You will need to find the supply house near you that sells Thermo Pride and have them look up the part number to be sure and the part number for the Amulet.
    Thermo Pride used to be particular about who installed their equipment. I was a buy direct dealer for TP until their salesman George VanKat retired. Then I needed to use a supply house in Vineland NJ to get parts. I believe they are still a higher quality heat exchanger manufacturer.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited September 2022
    I have read all the posts from after the two Discussions were merged. I see that you have brick chamber parts. They are more durable. You may be able to re-use them if removed carefully. I have worked on brick chambers in TP furnaces and removed them to clean up a saturation caused by a defective primary control. I actually took the chamber outside to a stone Driveway and light it off with a propane torch to burn off all the fuel that was saturated in there. While it was burning off, I went inside and used clay based oil absorbent (oil dry) and thoroughly cleaned the heat exchanger and blower compartment of all the oil, Took 2.5 hours... when I was done, the chamber was still burning off oil in the parking lot. I went to get a sandwich and ice tea for lunch and returned to find the chamber was oil free... but really hot still.

I then went to another service call and returned an hour later to see The chamber was able to be lifted with heavy gloves. I installed the old chamber and got the furnace operating again, after installing an Ignition and primary control.

That Thermo Pride is built like a tank!

Mr. Ed

PS EDIT
    If you need to get the new ceramic fiber chamber, they are actually slightly better for combustion because they heat up faster to promote vaporization of the atomized oil droplets. And they last longer if you take care when vacuum cleaning the bottom of the chamber. ...But not as long as brick chambers last.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    The few Thermoprides I was involved with you had to buy direct from the factory and no supply houses around here sold them as I recall.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited September 2022

Please keep all your posts regarding your furnace in one thread. Your service provide could assess if it's worth replacing your chamber and checking your heat exchanger for cracks. If the HX is gone, the chamber repair is worthless. How old is the unit?

Brick chamber... over 30 years old! IMHO. Thermo Pride was one of the last to switch to ceramic fiber chambers after the fire brick/combustion chamber factory in West Philadelphia burned down in the 1980s.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited September 2022

The few Thermoprides I was involved with you had to buy direct from the factory and no supply houses around here sold them as I recall.

In the early 2000's they changed to a factory rep and supply houses. I was a factory direct dealer... when and my salesman retired, I was told to purchase from a supply house in Vineland NJ. I believe FW Webb is a distributer for TP and they have many locations.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    edited September 2022
    @EdTheHeaterMan

I am not as familiar with TP as you. My boss had two in his house that were 25 years old (and nothing wrong with them) and he decided to replace them with the same thing. I remember having to buy them from TP direct and this was probably 2014 or 2015. But things are handled differently everywhere, I will look at Webb (although I hate them) just curious.

The install would have been a snap...same furnaces except he had AC. The newer 410 cased coils were higher that the old R-22 coils so the plenums had to be modified

your right Webb has TP
    EdTheHeaterMan