Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Secondary probe type LWCO for Burnham MegaSteam?

Rusty2
Rusty2 Member Posts: 69
I was wondering if anybody put a Secondary (back-up) probe type LWCO wired in series with the Primary probe LWCO and the Pressuretrol on a Burnham MST. If so where did they put it? On the equalizer? Are there any photo's of this? The Primary would be automatic with the Secondary having a manual reset for safety.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    edited August 2022

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited August 2022
    JohnNY said:

Do you see where you can put the second LWCO? John has done research to illustrate exactly what you need to do here and provided a picture of one of his jobs.

I'm wondering if everyone else sees what I see.
    This is the picture I see on @JohnNY's post

But when I posted the Quote the picture came up different, actually showing a different page in the IO manual and a photo.

Edit: just refreshed my page and John's post updated with the same picture and diagram as the one in my "Quote" post. This is spooky!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JohnNY
    edited August 2022

JohnNY said:

But when I posted the Quote the picture came up different, actually showing a different page in the IO manual and a photo.

Yeah, it took me a couple tries to get this right. I'm learning...
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JohnNY
    edited August 2022
    @EdTheHeaterMan
    Yeah, it took me a couple tries to get this right. I'm learning...
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Rusty2
    Thanks JohnNY and Ed. It looks like the Steam Max has different tappings than the MegaSteam. I don't see a place to put another LWCO probe on the MegaSteam unless the Secondary could somehow come off the bottom of the gauge glass.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited August 2022
    The 3/4" tapping on the front marked C is for the LWCO as indicated in the key list below the illustration. . There is a 1" tapping in the rear, an inch or 2 below that marked K. This is a great place to install the probe for a secondary LWCO. I would mount the probe there but run a wire from the probe to front and mount the actual control box with the reset button somewhere near the primary LWCO so it is easy to find.

That is how I might do it. You don't want to hide that thing in the rear where no one can find it. That is a 3 hour service call in 10 years when that manual reset LWCO trips and you send 3 rookies to find the problem because the original installer retired a year before, and isn't around to tell them that the reset button is around the back.

Just a thought.

Edit: Here is the key for that illustration

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    JohnNY
  • JohnNY
    Oh! Sorry. I read that as Steam Max and not the Mega Steam.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Rusty2
    Thanks Ed. I didn't think about the tappings on the back. Since I'm not using a water heater the 1" tapping "K" should be perfect.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I agree with @EdTheHeaterMan on "K" possibly "L" why not call Burnham and ask them since their drawing show no height above the water line or the floor
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    I think you will have trouble with "K" and the flue pipe.

Once we tried to do this using a Hydrolevel 711. But we couldn't get it to work because the gauge glass on the MegaSteam is too short. But maybe someone else could figure out how to do it...

New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited August 2022

I think you will have trouble with "K" and the flue pipe.

Once we tried to do this using a Hydrolevel 711. But we couldn't get it to work because the gauge glass on the MegaSteam is too short. But maybe someone else could figure out how to do it...

I think this is a great idea if the opening for the control is at least 1-1/2" above or below the existing LWCO opening. If they are too close together, then you may get false manual reset tripping. That is never a good thing.

Regarding the K tapping, if you use it for the probe only and run a long sensor wire from the probe to the front of the boiler to an easy to see location, then the vent pipe should not be an issue.

Mr .Ed