Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

20 year-old Emerson blower motor in Carrier oil furnace/AC

rgar98
rgar98 Member Posts: 59
Hello,
I'm trying to get a blower motor for this 20 year old system. The current Emerson 1/3 hp/115V/1075 RPM blower motor works but I'm anticipating having to replace it. Warning label on blower housing says: CHANGE EXCLUSIVELY:
with Emerson K55HXMSR-5950 but I can't find it. However, I found a Carrier HC41AE117 (Amazon) with same specs.
Suggestions?
Thanks a lot.
Richard

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited August 2022
    Emerson wants you to buy Emerson. Carrier does not care. And the blower wheel does not need know the name brand of the blower motor. Just tell the wheel it is an Emerson, then put any brand on there. Blower wheels never look at the motor. They only look at the direction the air is blowing

This one should work fine. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mars-1-5-in-3-4-in-HP-Multi-Horsepower-Direct-Drive-Blower-Motor-10466/318552613
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    MikeAmann
  • rgar98
    rgar98 Member Posts: 59
    Thanks ED.I figured as much, but I'm uncertain b/c the Carrier specs I mentioned were told to me by a vendor online and I'm not certain that they are accurate.
    Thanks for the comment and remember that:
    "You don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind is blowing."
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @rgar98

Blower motors are pretty generic. As long as you match up the frame size is most important, hp voltage # of speeds and direction of rotation etc.

Don't install a motor rated for less amperage than the original motor.

The OEMs sometimes pay games with their ratings
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    especially find one that is rated as the same or higher current draw. it is probably more that the old motor is producing a bit more power than rated than the new motor is more efficient. I might go with a 1/2 hp replacement in place of a 1/3 hp oem. I'd also look for ball bearings in the new motor. It is likely that the amount of air in a blower application allows them to run it at a bit more current than rated without overheating but it is better to avoid that situation.