Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

embed pex in slab or pourover?

Options
baltik
baltik Member Posts: 21
edited August 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
In my new addition I have 8" of structural floor depth to play with. The engineer specd 6" slab leaving me 2".
So essentially i can do:
2" insulation then 6" slab with embedded pex
OR
No insulation, 6" slab, thermal break then 2" gypcrete.

I am leaning towards option 2 since the area I live in is cool but mild (never below freezing) and I like the idea of having a responsive system where I can turn down a few degrees at night. However gas is also very expensive where I live, so my primary concern is overall efficiency. What's the better setup for my use case and are there other factors I'm forgetting?

Comments

• Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,846
    Options
    That thermal break is supposed to stop all heat loss? How?

Option 1 makes more sense. If you want responsive, neither fit the bill.
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Add 2" fill, compact, 2" insulation and 4" slab, tube suspended 2" below top.

Really no need for 6" unless you plan on working on heavy equipment in there :)

Spray foam is becoming the norm around here for underslab, gets you a perfect vapor barrier from Radon concerns, etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • baltik
    baltik Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I need the 6” for structural reinforcement of existing foundation….
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    somehow, somewhere you want a 2” minimum insulation layer. Anything less will just increase the downward heat loss and operating costs over the life of the system. That 6” slab will be a large, conductive heat sink. At some point as that mass warms it would be hard to control over heating potential.

Any or the radiant simulation programs would show the loss and related costs associated with insulation thickness options.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    baltikHot_water_fan