Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler in a garage. Raise so burner is 18" off ground?

Tobin
Tobin Member Posts: 2
edited September 2022 in Oil Heating
I working on an older Dunkirk boiler. Current boiler was installed by contractor that went out of business years ago, and it's sitting on 4" concrete blocks over a concrete floor. Surrounding walls are all block.

Oil heat isn't very common in WI and I'm not finding any information about it being raised off the ground like you would an ignition source such as a gas water heater in a garage? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    A water boiler in a garage in WI? 
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Some inspectors will measure the 18" to the bottom of the boiler. I usually put 8x8x16 concrete blocks down, two layers deep and alternating around to make a square, and then 2" cap blocks on that. That will give you 18" for the boiler, and also makes it easier to work on in the future. No one likes to work on a burner that is on the ground.
    EdTheHeaterManTobin
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    It makes sense because gasoline vapors from a fuel line or tank that springs a leak will have vapor that settles on the garage floor. These vapors will usually not get much higher that 6" in a garage with the garage door gaskets being what they are. So the 18" rule is for a source of ignition is reasonable. I know that your car will never have a fuel leak of any kind, but the code was written and enforced for that one time when somebody else uses the garage who is not a diligent as you with automobile maintenance. All it takes is one time!

I have used the 8 cinder block and 2" cap on several garage boiler installs. You can use mortar to make the block permanent or just build the box without any cement. Gravity holds those blocks in place nicely.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Tobin
  • Tobin
    Tobin Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2022
    pecmsg said:

A water boiler in a garage in WI? 

Yes, it's a heated garage.

I appreciate the responses! Assumed it should be raised but I wasn't finding definitive info.