Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Did they install the right new steam boiler

I just had my oil steam boiler replaced and am concerned that the size is to small. The house is 5,300 sq ft. The old boiler was a Weil-McLain model 78 with an output Btu?hr of 400,000. The new one is a Peerles Series EC (T) -e-06-W/S with a BTU/Hr gross rating of 347,000. Will this boiler be big enough to heat this large house that has 19 radiators.

Comments

• jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    edited August 2022
    I suggest you add up the EDR of your radiators and compare that to the "Steam Sq. Ft." on the boiler nameplate. It is usually not too difficult to find this information. I used the book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating Revisited".
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    The usual problem we see here is that the new boiler is larger than the old one, which was oversized to begin with. The best contractors will measure the radiators as described above to determine the correct boiler size. If this was done, you’re probably fine.

Bburd
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Please post a few pictures of the new boiler and the piping to the boiler.

Try to take the pictures so we can see everything in one picture and take them from a few different angles.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulEBEBRATT-Ed