Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's the jerkiest thing a (former?) employee has ever done?

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
I was just thinking back on the story @JohnNY told about the guy who javelined the pipe into the van and hit poor John in the head.

What's your story?
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    One employee tried doing side work using the company's invoices and having the customer make the check to himself. When the work was never completed, I got the call from an angry customer wondering why the work wasn't finished.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • DanHolohan
    😳
    Retired and loving it.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    Showing up
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    This was that day…
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • DanHolohan
    Ouch!
    Retired and loving it.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Yeah. Pretty much.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    That could have been a lot worse. :S I don't know how big of a pipe it was but it looks like that was a glancing blow. I'm imagining a 10' stick of 3/4" black pipe hitting someone in the head and the result wouldn't be stitches at the hospital but rather an autopsy at the morgue.
    kcopp
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited August 2022
    We did a lot of remodeling work and accumulated lots of scrap copper and brass until all the bins got full and my shop boy would take them down to the scrap metal dealer. One time we had about 300# and my shop boy split the load and pocketed his half. He didn't know that the scrap metal dealer was a guy I knew from the gym. He gave me the money back and then a few weeks later filed for worker's compensation for workplace stress.

I also had an apprentice who we took in who had a history of abuse when he was growing up. We sent him to the PHCC apprentice training program and encouraged him whenever we could, but we couldn't keep him away from drugs. He ended up killing a guy over a drug deal and then threw them into a dumpster. I think he's still in jail. Haunts me to this day.

Is that jerky enough?

I am proud to have made it to the other side of owning and running a plumbing contracting business without becoming an alcoholic, going bankrupt or having an early demise.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    EdTheHeaterMankcopp
  • DanHolohan
    Wow, what a story! You’re a good man, Ed. You did it right. Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
    EdTheHeaterManLS123
  • DanHolohan
    Alan, I’m also glad you made it. Gosh!
    Retired and loving it.
    EdTheHeaterMankcopp
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,571
    How about the jerkiest thing a boss has ever done?

Like, cancel my long planned vacation at the last minute with a lie so I can cover for a co-worker while they both went to SC to play golf for a couple days? The guy was so unethical, he was bound to run out of rope.

Eventually, he did something so egregious, criminal even, that, on my word and with indisputable evidence, the company fired him. I learned more about management from that **** of a boss than I ever learned from my best bosses.
    EdTheHeaterMan