Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solved: HVAC tech says everything is working correctly, but air temp out of vent is 90 degree

Options
tommygags
tommygags Member Posts: 81
Hi everyone, my brand new AC 4 ton unit was installed a year ago and no issues until last night, where it was pumping 90 degree air from the vent. I just had a HVAC tech come by who checked everything and said the pressure is good and the air handler coil is at 64 degrees as it should be. However, he is saying that the hot air in the 2nd floor ceiling is holding too much heat causing the issue. Meanwhile, in 4 years of living here, never had this issue and during the heat wave last week of 100 degree weather, it was pumping cold air just fine. Any ideas on what could be the issue?

Edit: solved! My heat was kicking on somehow, possible wiring issue I'll look into. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    you need to add more info. brand and model number would help.

what was the temperature of the return air entering the coil
    what was the temperature of the air leaving the coil.
    what was the ambient temperature entering the condenser
    air temperature leaving the condenser.
    and then all the technical that only the tech would know.

do you have a two stage or variable speed unit?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    What airflow did they measure through the evaporator?
  • tommygags
    Options
    pedmec said:
    you need to add more info. brand and model number would help. what was the temperature of the return air entering the coil what was the temperature of the air leaving the coil. what was the ambient temperature entering the condenser air temperature leaving the condenser. and then all the technical that only the tech would know. do you have a two stage or variable speed unit?
    Them you for the reply! Unfortunately I don't have much of that information. 

The unit is a Amana ASXC16 - Air Conditioner. 

He did mention it was about a 20 degree difference from air temp to coil. Outside air temp is about 85 degrees and he was getting 64 degrees on the air handler coil. Thermostat is showing 86 degrees. Laser temp gun is showing 91 on the surface of the air vent. 
  • tommygags
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    What airflow did they measure through the evaporator?
    Unfortunately I don't know that answer. Appreciate you trying to help!
  • tommygags
    Options
    Solved! My heat was kicking on for some reason at the same time, probably a wiring issue somewhere. Thanks for trying to help!!
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    What T-Stat?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    tommygags said:
    Solved! My heat was kicking on for some reason at the same time, probably a wiring issue somewhere. Thanks for trying to help!!
    your tech couldn’t figure that out? They owe you some refund. 

What T-Stat?

ChrisJmattmia2tommygagsJakeCK
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    They do owe you a refund, Coil temp should be 40 degrees and the unit should discharge 55-degree air with a 75-return air approx.
    EdTheHeaterMantommygagsJakeCK
  • tommygags
    Options
    pecmsg said:
    tommygags said:
    your tech couldn’t figure that out? They owe you some refund. 

What T-Stat?

Thanks for the reply! It's an ecobee 3. However I think a wire got loose in the relay (if that could be the cause), haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. 
  • tommygags
    Options
    They do owe you a refund, Coil temp should be 40 degrees and the unit should discharge 55-degree air with a 75-return air approx.
    Thank you! Can I check these with a laser thermometer, or I need an air thermometer for proper testing?  Where would I check the return air?   
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    check the air temp in and out of the air handler...across the ahu coil