Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nest Thermostat Dual System

Options
I have a dual transformer systems and bought a 24 volt c wire adapter since i do not have a c wire. my rh and rc terminals are in use. with the adapter can I put one of the wires with the rc wire terminal and then the other to the c. If I put the rc wire that’s already there with the adapter wire will it hurt anything? Its currently running fine that way.

Comments

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,385
    Options
    The NEST may not care where it gets its 24VAC power from, Rc to C or Rh to C as long as it gets a constant 24VAC power. Also if you look at your HVAC equipment the individual wires to the thermostat's Rc and Rh terminals may be wired together to an R terminal there.
    National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • sphelps81
    sphelps81 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    So if I put the adapter wire from the 24volt in with the existing Rc wire it shouldn’t hurt my air unit then?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    If it were me, I would skip the Rh, and use that wire for a C, and then install a simple relay control at the cooling equipment to operate the heating system.
     Of course, I don’t know where these wires are going, so that idea may not work well. If the heating and cooling equipment is next to each other, this would be relatively simple. If you have some basic wiring skills. It’s low voltage, harmless
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com